Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange charging & charge port behavior lately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I walked down to the garage and found a red light glowing around the charge plug in the car. I got in the car and it said that the plug was not connected, and it was still waiting to charge.

Now, that's weird because I am very careful when I plug the plug in to the charge port, I make sure it locks and goes blue. What else can I do? That is the state I left it in last night. This morning, red.

To add to that: lately, when I've come down in the morning to unplug from the port, I've noticed that the lock is very temperamental. I press the button, I hear the loud unlock sound, the glow turns white, I start pulling and BAM the lock sound happens again and the glow turns blue. It likes to play tug of war. It's like the only way I can unplug the plug is to press the button AND pull it out at the same time, both very quickly. It never used to be this way.

Anyone else experience strange behavior like this from the charge port?

I started experiencing strange HPWC/charge port behavior a few weeks ago, on 4.5. I would plug in at night, but not get blue - remaining white, and the dash saying port is open, connect cable. The first few times I fiddled around, closed and reopened the port, locked and unlocked the car, put the plug in a few times, and eventually got to blue. Along the way I also tried rebooting both dash and touchscreen. But once it just wouldn't go blue, so I just left it at white to see what would happen - I had enough charge for the next day anyway. Sure enough, at some point in the night the car connected and started drawing power. So I just kept leaving it on white, and figured 5.8 might fix.

5.8 loaded 10 days ago, and no change. Then a few days ago the button on the HPWC plug wouldn't open the charge port so I had to do it from inside the car. Last night this happened again, so I figured maybe the problem was the HPWC, not the car/software. I left it unplugged, killed the 100A breaker, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then powered it back up. Voila! The charge port opened, and when I plugged in the light went from white to blue.

Funny that it took a few weeks for me to do what I tell all my family members every time they come to me with a technology problem - turn it off, let it sit a minute, then turn it back on!

I've noticed that the charge port cable-lock seems to be more "eager" lately, and I think the change coincides with my 5.0 --> 5.8 update. With 5.0 I'd have to hold the UMC in the port for a second or two before it clicked and changed to blue/green. Now it clicks and tries to lock the moment I insert it, and as a result, sometimes it either turns red or back to white pretty quickly.

I've also noticed that the charge port cover has started reopening itself after I close it, usually while I'm walking away and coiling up the UMC to hang it up on my garage wall. I actually wonder if I've started accidentally pressing the button while coiling -- I'll have to pay closer attention to that.

I've also noticed that the charge port cover has started reopening itself after I close it, usually while I'm walking away and coiling up the UMC to hang it up on my garage wall. I actually wonder if I've started accidentally pressing the button while coiling -- I'll have to pay closer attention to that.

I had that happen a few times. When I mentioned it to someone at the SC, they said that another owner had the same problem and it turned out he was hitting the button when hanging the cable up. So now I'm more careful and it doesn't happen.