Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange charging episode last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already called Tesla mobile service as of realizing what was happening, so that part is out of the way ...

Plugged in my model 3 to charge last night (Gen 2 mobile connector with 14-50 plug), before settling down to watch a movie in the backyard. After about 25 miles of range added, I got an alert charging had stopped. Saw alerts in the car that Mobile Charger had a GFCI fault. The GFCI must be internal to the mobile connector, as there's none on the outlet. Thought it odd, as SoCal has been hot dry and near 100 degrees for a few days now. Tried to unplug and replug, but the charging rate kept bouncing back from 16 mph to 0 mph and never really getting anywhere.

Pulled a spare Gen 2 mobile connector I had bought, swapped. Still doing the 16-0 mph bounce. I got an idea to use the app to stop charging and restart from there. After that maneuver, it charged to my preset limit without complaining again.

At this point, my only theory is the original Gen 2 mobile connector went bad. Interested to hear other opinions though!

What movie were you watching? :)

No idea what might be the problem. I'm using my Gen 2 mobile connector at home for the second time in two years. Wanted to run the A/C and keep the car cool in the driveway while we're in our fourth straight day of 100+ temps. My charging also stopped once but it's probably due to me using 5-15 120V AND an extension cord AND trying to run the A/C at the same time. My charge rate is 0mph but it does seem to lessen the battery drain. I've lost 8 miles in range over the last three hours. More and more I'm wanting to get my HPWC installed....