Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange charging issue. Charges beyond the set point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car 2 years now but never had this problem before. I was at 20% charge and to fit in with my 5 hour window on Octopus go I normally set the charge % to add 30%. I then start the charge manually to check it does not overrun. This time it said the charge would take 8hrs ? Retried starting but still the same. So I thought I would let it start from the scheduled time of 1:30 and see what happened. Sure enough, at 6:30 it continued on saying about 3 hours left and had charged to 60%. I stopped it and decided to sort it after breakfast. Anyway to cut a long story short, even if you set the end charge % to only 5% above the current level it still says the end time is hours away.

I'm using a dumb Rolec charger.

Any ideas ? I've done the 2 button and pedal reset.

Lots of possibilities.

What rate are you charging at? This will sound dumb ….but if it’s dropped below the typical 7kW it’ll take longer. Charger fault? Cable fault? Worn pins? (Did you try the new app & dial down the current by mistake?!) change of weather - did you leave the air-conditioning/heating on playing with the new iPhone widget.

Lots of possibilities.

What rate are you charging at? This will sound dumb ….but if it’s dropped below the typical 7kW it’ll take longer. Charger fault? Cable fault? Worn pins? (Did you try the new app & dial down the current by mistake?!) change of weather - did you leave the air-conditioning/heating on playing with the new iPhone widget.
I normally charge at 24A. The cable is quite new and was working fine a few days ago. It works OK on my other EV as does the charger. It's a mystery, I'll have to give Tesla service a call.