Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno if it is the heat, my mcu swap or if they just broke it, but my charging is swinging between 12 and 24mph when hooked to my home charger. It used to charge consistently at 24 mph. I don't remember what I was at before, but now I'm at 2019.20.4.3. same wall charger. New mcu with LTE upgrade woohoo! It's much hotter at night now than it was two weeks ago when it broke. I have a 2012 model s 85 with dual chargers. Any one else?

There's two reasons this happens, outside of a fault in the car. One is not getting the connector fully seated in the charge port, in which case you'll get a message about the charge rate being limited. Usually, pushing the connector in more firmly will fix that. The second reason is the car detecting voltage fluctuations during ramp up or while charging that causes it to lower the charge rate. I'd check electrical connections visually and look for hot spots while charging to diagnose that.

Reactions: spacklewoof
There's two reasons this happens, outside of a fault in the car. One is not getting the connector fully seated in the charge port, in which case you'll get a message about the charge rate being limited. Usually, pushing the connector in more firmly will fix that. The second reason is the car detecting voltage fluctuations during ramp up or while charging that causes it to lower the charge rate. I'd check electrical connections visually and look for hot spots while charging to diagnose that.
The voltage was fluctuating from 242 to 245. it usually steady at around 242. Thank you.