Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange clunk noise in front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wife and I were driving home today when I decide to lightly play around on a country back road by doing light zig, zag movements (like going through a cone avoidance course).

We were doing around 45mph when I lightly turned the wheels left and back right. We both observed a metal clunk coming from the left front tire. I could even feel it through the steering wheel. I never noticed this happening before. I noticed nothing abnormal outside of that. Is it worth calling a SC? Thoughts?

I have clunk from my front right.
It is most noticeable when going over a speed bump.
Suspect it may be a bad bushing or ball-joint.
I have not brought it up with Tesla yet as its not too bad but will mention it at my next visit.

Yes. A known issue. Just took mine in on Thursday for a safety check prior to a long holiday road trip. They said that one or two bolts become slightly loose, causing the sound, but that the car was perfectly drivable with no safety issues, and to schedule a repair at my convenience. They said that there is no rush. I hope that proves to be true!

Informative thread.

Every now and then since it's gotten snowy I hear a clunk coming from the front left when I first start to back out of the garage. Have not paid it much mind but after reading this thread I'm going to check with the local service center. Thanks for posting!

The Model S is the only vehicle that I've heard of where suspension components come loose, or a bolt goes loose. I've never heard of this on any other car.

I had a 1979 corvette that had the rear suspension come loose TWICE. You could push on the rear quarter panels and the rear wheels would tilt from side to side. That car was the first brand new car I ever bought and it was the biggest piece of s@@t that I ever owned. I got it on weekends and it spent most of the weekdays in the shop. The warranty was 12000 miles or 1 year. I sold it at 11000miles.

I had a 1979 corvette that had the rear suspension come loose TWICE. You could push on the rear quarter panels and the rear wheels would tilt from side to side. That car was the first brand new car I ever bought and it was the biggest piece of s@@t that I ever owned. I got it on weekends and it spent most of the weekdays in the shop. The warranty was 12000 miles or 1 year. I sold it at 11000miles.

LOL that's due to you owning a late 70s (or almost any of the 80s) American vehicle.

Valid point, though I don't actually know if I ran into this on my previous cars. I know I never went for a whole year without going to the service before, so it's quite possible that the "oil, lube and filter" at the dealer service included checking and tightening the suspension components. It's also possible I didn't hear it on my previous cars because of the engine noise. And, of course, it's possible Tesla is doing something wrong with the design of the Model S suspension, or how they're installing.