Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange cruise control behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I never noticed this before, so I am thinking something is up.

When I have the cruise control on and bump the turn signal lever up in order to signal a right-hand turn, it cancels the cruise control, so the car immediately starts regenerative braking. When I bump the lever down to signal a turn left, the cruise control stays active. Very strange. I have tested this behavior carefully and made sure that I wasn't hitting the cruise control buttons on the end of the stalk by pushing on the stalk well away from the end.

Any thoughts?

The wires for the cruise switches are probably cracked, causing an intermittent open. The wires flex every time the lever is used so they don't last forever. There is a small harness containing the wires coming out of the signal lever under the rubber boot. If you shift them around you might get the problem to go away for a while, but the only true cure is a new lever/switch assembly.

The wires for the cruise switches are probably cracked, causing an intermittent open. The wires flex every time the lever is used so they don't last forever. There is a small harness containing the wires coming out of the signal lever under the rubber boot. If you shift them around you might get the problem to go away for a while, but the only true cure is a new lever/switch assembly.
Thanks. I was afraid of that!!

The idea of Repair Cafe is to reduce the amount of stuff discarded into the landfill by repairing items that are still workable but for which there is not an economical commercial repair service. The repairs are done by volunteers for free or by the item owner with assistance from the volunteers. In my area we meet for a day (or used to, anyway) 4 or 5 times per year. People bring small appliances, clothes, bikes, some furniture, etc. My wife says the room looks like the waiting area of a veterinarian except that instead of dogs and cats the people are holding lamps and toasters.

Repair Cafe started in Amsterdam -- see here -- but has grown to be a loosely organized international "movement" of sorts.