Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange development---need your input please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I had something weird happen with my Model 3. I always set it to 80%, and have it set to begin charging at 1am. This works well. This morning I came out to drive to work, and the battery was at 62%. That is more than where it was when I pulled in last night, but far short of where it should have been. Any ideas?

Also---I'm getting quite a bit of vampire drain during the day when it's parked (in a parking garage) at work. Sometimes 2 to 3 %. I am not running Sentry Mode. What else would be bleeding off that much energy?

Thanks to all.
Phil in Chicago

got hot and amperage was reduced?

got any electrical modifications on the car? dash cams? stereo equipment?

senty aint the problem. i run it daily 24/7.

maybe cabin protection? summon enabled?

did you have any sentry events?

i take it this was the first time you have seen this. do you have the app to notify you when the charing stops or is interrupted? if not, maybe enable that for a night or thrice and see if you notice the chargung being interrupted?

im far from a hot shot tesla know it all but just some conversation starters.. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Check the notifications on the car by going to Car>Service>Notifications.

Any charge interruptions would be displayed in there most likely.

For instance, a week ago my mobile charger's built in GFCI started tripping and interrupting the charge. All those errors were in the notifications.

Reactions: KenC and camalaio
Vampire drain is one or more of Sentry, cabin overheat protection, or summon standby.
One more thing to add to that list is 12v battery charging. The car will wake up to top off the 12v battery as needed.

There have been quite a few posts about guys having really excessive phantom/vampire drain that ends up being a 12v battery on its way out that the car keeps trying to charge up. Something you might want to look at, OP, but I doubt it (the 12v battery) had anything to do with your charge not completing during the night.

One thing you might want to look into is the "Stats" smart phone app. It'll send you a notification if your charging session is interrupted. You do have to provide your Tesla login credentials to the app, but I've been using it for a year now with no problems. I like having the peace of mind that if a charging session gets interrupted (and I'm in need of the car being charged in the morning) I'll be informed.

Many thanks to everyone. Tesla tells me they believe it may have been a power failure which interrupted my charge---or that possibly the breaker tripped on my 240 outlet. I will check that when I get home.

I am concerned about what seems to be excessive vampire drain---but hopefully this is going to be an easy explanation about why the car quit charging.

Reactions: lUtriaNt