Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange door handle behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
My driver side rear door handle is acting up, if I don't open the door for a while (overnight) the door will have trouble opening
The handle comes out, I tug on it but the door doesn't open, I really have to pull on it to a point I feel I'm gonna rip the handle out
I'll close the door and open but this time less pull is needed, and after a few times of opening and closing everything goes back to normal

I'll drop my kid off at school and pick him up and the door is back to square one, my kid (3rd grade) can't even open it.

I went to the service center and they looked at it, went through open/close sequence and it was all normal again so they told me to keep an eye on it

What could be causing this?
It's the newer handles

I have a situation similar to yours, in that my back drivers side door handle intermittently doesn't work at all, and sometimes it does. I am taking to the SC on Tuesday. Interestingly, when the handle doesn't work (which I know right away because all others self-present), the window also doesn't work. Are you having trouble with the window as well? I suspect its some intermittent power outage to the door itself. The guy on the phone said it might be a "microswitch." I'll let you know.

I have a situation similar to yours, in that my back drivers side door handle intermittently doesn't work at all, and sometimes it does. I am taking to the SC on Tuesday. Interestingly, when the handle doesn't work (which I know right away because all others self-present), the window also doesn't work. Are you having trouble with the window as well? I suspect its some intermittent power outage to the door itself. The guy on the phone said it might be a "microswitch." I'll let you know.
I will check on the window
I don't use it so I'm not sure if it stops working when the handle does