Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Energy Spike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was doing some practice smart summon as well as working to learn the backup camera (I have never had one until my MX). Part of this involved slowly(!) backing up for an extended period, doing figure-eights on the backup camera. I noticed this giant spike in energy usage. It seems impossible, like I was out drag racing with the pedal to the medal for a LONG time. I should have been going Mach 2+ after leaving the throttle open for this long. What could have actually happened? Too bad it's too old to be visible in the 5 mile scale. This is 15 miles.

20200316_093720.jpg

That is expected.

Remember that the graph is expressing energy divided by miles. When you were going slowly, you put on very few miles. But in addition to the energy for moving the car, HVAC was probably running - and it uses energy by time rather than miles. With time being relatively long w.r.t miles at very low speeds, the energy/mile number will be unusually high.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: verygreen
That is expected.

Remember that the graph is expressing energy divided by miles. When you were going slowly, you put on very few miles. But in addition to the energy for moving the car, HVAC was probably running - and it uses energy by time rather than miles. With time being relatively long w.r.t miles at very low speeds, the energy/mile number will be unusually high.
Oh DUH!! Wh/mi ... I am royally embarrassed. Thank you for that. Same reason it increases in heavy traffic.