Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange error message: "close console lid gently"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really fascinated by the logic behind this message. There must be some sensor that notices you're slamming the door. But the reason people close it too hard is because it's hard to close, and the natural response is to close it harder, which doesn't work. So they added a sensor and software? Wouldn't it have been better to change the mechanism so it would stay closed when closed forcefully? It's been a long time since I did an FMEA, but I feel like the result should have been "prevent the failure mode" rather than "detect and respond"

I'm really fascinated by the logic behind this message. There must be some sensor that notices you're slamming the door. But the reason people close it too hard is because it's hard to close, and the natural response is to close it harder, which doesn't work. So they added a sensor and software? Wouldn't it have been better to change the mechanism so it would stay closed when closed forcefully? It's been a long time since I did an FMEA, but I feel like the result should have been "prevent the failure mode" rather than "detect and respond"

Tesla is more of a tech company than auto :D

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla is more of a tech company than auto :D

^^This^^
You can only go so far in making things fool-proof because fools are so ingenious. From a software perspective .. there is always someone out there that will do/use something in a way that the developers never even imagined was possible, in that case all you can do is give them an error message that says "Stop it".

^^This^^
You can only go so far in making things fool-proof because fools are so ingenious. From a software perspective .. there is always someone out there that will do/use something in a way that the developers never even imagined was possible, in that case all you can do is give them an error message that says "Stop it".

They could go further and use the nav voice to say "Please close the lid gently". Then again, that would be a bit HAL-like, but in this day of Alexa and Siri...

Is this a April fool joke? I have never seen that message! When I first took delivery I tried to close that thing like 5 or 6 times but it kept popping back up. Finally I realized it needs a very very soft touch. That error message would have helped... is there really a message or I am being punked?

• Funny
Reactions: brandonee916
The software engineer in me is saying that once again we need to create a software patch to fix a hardware problem. :D

The hardware engineer in me has definitely done that a couple times. But, in this case the sensor+wiring is there so it seems like it was a result of a certain boss who wanted the touch/feel to be a certain way. So they didn't want to change the mechanism.

The other mechanism I can't figure out why they went with is the turn signal. Sure it works, but I'm used to an indent/click after the temporary point. It's just kinda weird.

The only switch/toggle that I really don't like is the steering wheel knobs for click left/right.

Reactions: Jason S
Maybe it is the engineer in me, but if you have to program a software message to tell someone they are closing something incorrectly, maybe it should be designed to close more easily instead? :)
What if, mechanically, that's simply not an option?

I like the mechanism and it likely already had sensors because of how it operates. On other hand, might be something added to the handoff checklist. :)

Ditto post #16

Reactions: APotatoGod