Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange experience trying to drive today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model 3 RWD v2022.12.3.2
No updates pending.

Feel like I've written a book here, but here we go! I just submitted a service report to Tesla trying to get some answers here on what happened today.

Would appreciate if
anyone has any clues about what might be going on, guessing it's software related, or what follow-up I should be expecting from Tesla.

Interested in this Charge connector update in progress message, code - GTW_w087. I can't find a clear answer on what this means, but assuming the car is updating the software on the destination charger?

I was parked at Sydney Airport today with my Model 3 connected to a Tesla destination charger, where it was connected for about 30 minutes and completed charging. On the way to returning to my car, I started the climate control on the app, 10 minutes prior.

The car was unlocked as normal when I arrived at 1415 using proximity Bluetooth and showed a message when I returned 'Charge connector update in progress, disconnecting from the charge port will abort'. This message, which I have not seen before, remained active for minutes, needing to leave the car park, I stopped the charge session and removed the connector.

The vehicle LCD was in the ready state when sitting back in the driver's seat, from this point, it then became unresponsive - the display blacked in and out, switching between the sentry eyeball and the ready to drive screen, showing the vehicle awake but locked, despite doors open.

Suddenly, the stereo then switches on at 100% volume with no input from me, it played a deafening sound. It would not stop - the steering wheel would not lower the volume, the screen was blacked out and we could not stop it in any way.

Trying to stop the sound, I tried a soft reboot response, the screen was black, the wheel toggle would do nothing. Finally I opened and closed the driver's door which then brought up volume controls and I was able to bring it down.

We were not using the media system at this volume prior to parking, or at any time since owning the car).

The car was still not responding, it would not select a drive gear with brake depressed, not respond to the padlock being pressed on the display, not respond to pressing Start on the app. I tried again to reboot via wheel controls - nothing. After minutes trying I could eventually select Drive and was able to drive away. The car then displays a message saying the climate control requires service.

Attachments

• IMG_20220504_141529~01.jpg
    IMG_20220504_141529~01.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 401
Apparently you triggered the Sentry Mode alarm (you should have received a notification from the Tesla mobile app). Why it happened is a mystery. If it was related to the charge connector update, hopefully it won’t happen again.

I suggest you also do a power off reset to help clear any lingering issues:

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model 3 if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

• Love
Reactions: alex_au
Thanks will do. Didn't receive any app notification and my phone never left the car, hopefully a one off. Explains a lot.
Apparently you triggered the Sentry Mode alarm (you should have received a notification from the Tesla mobile app). Why it happened is a mystery. If it was related to the charge connector update, hopefully it won’t happen again.

I suggest you also do a power off reset to help clear any lingering issues:

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model 3 if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

That must have been unnerving they have some loud sound systems. I accidently activated rainbow road once and couldn't get it to stop for 20 miles of driving between offramps. I thought I was going to go nuts.
I'm about to do the 12.3.2 update when I get home. Maybe I'll do a power off when it's done just to clear things up.

Reactions: alex_au
Just an update here. Tesla Service called me this morning to discuss. They advised they will review logs and make contact in a couple of days, so will update what I hear. They did confirm that Gen 2 tesla wall chargers source their firmware updates from vehicles, so that appears what the Charge connector update in progress message, code - GTW_w087 is.

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli