Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Flapping Sound above 70 mph.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started noticing this strange flapping sound the other day while on the highway. It is almost like there is something loose that when the conditions are right begins to flutter. It definitely sounds like it is coming from outside the car. It can also intensify at times when a truck or car drives past me…impacting the movement of air.

I don’t see anything loose and it doesn’t seem that it is associated with tires needing balancing, though I did recently have my tires rotated.

I do have OEM mud flaps, but have had these for some time. This sound is new.

Sorry for being vague, but any ideas out there.

I'm no expert.. but upon buying my Model 3 -- I noticed a few missing fender well clips. (I bought an assortment off amazon) popped em in where needed. Just got my model Y and at brand new I pull the wheels off to look about- and noticed two missing clips that actually hold a piece of plastic that I'd imagine could catch air and flap. You can add the clip without removing the tire.. reach in and see if yours is missing. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• missing.jpg
    missing.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 568
Check for missing fender clips or fasteners. I too had a few missing that needed to be replaced. Also, if you can climb under the front, check to see if you can move the plastic belly pan or cover underneath the frunk if the mounts are loose or missing. This can be cracked from driving over stuff, deep snow and things in the road. Might be fine at slow speeds but can start to move and flap at high speeds.

Just a thought: the wheel wells have a fibrous liner, attached by nuts on thread studs. There are several in each well, spaced along the inside curve of the well, directly above the tread of the tire. Several of mine were barely finger-tight upon deliver, easy to cinch them down

Last edited:
Issue identified. So it seems that the plastic undercarriage tray between the front wheels is torn. This tray, as I was told, blocks the wind from moving up through the front of the car. So, now there is a 2-3 week wait for the part, but the service ranger said driving was fine. Mystery solved.

Reactions: cjxmtn
Issue identified. So it seems that the plastic undercarriage tray between the front wheels is torn. This tray, as I was told, blocks the wind from moving up through the front of the car. So, now there is a 2-3 week wait for the part, but the service ranger said driving was fine. Mystery solved.
What do I win? :D

But seriously, good to hear that it's something simple and replaceable. I've had previous ICE cars where that was called an acoustic pan or aero shield that help quiet the engine noise down and direct airflow as you mentioned. They generally were less than $200 to replace. If you live in a snowy area, you'll often see bit and pieces of these on the side of the road after a big snowstorm as people drive through unplowed roads and snow drifts. Or in the spring time, as they flap themselves to bits at highway speeds.

Can you let us know how much the repair bill is? Curios as to what Tesla will charge.