Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange GPS directions Baxter State Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The GPS has known idiosyncrasies, but I thought this recommended route from Abol campground in Baxter State Park to Conway, New Hampshire was particularly unusual.

strangeRoute.jpg

Does anyone know the back roads it wanted me to take to get to Jackman? My impression is that I would need a winch-equipped Cybertruck with a spare tire in order to consider dodging logging trucks on that route. I took the normal way out of the park through Millinocket instead.

In defense of the GPS there was of course no data connection.

Reactions: JWardell
Looks like it wanted to take you towards the Golden Road then the road down to Kokajo, which is basically where the pavement restarts. Then onto Greenville and Rockwood.

It might have been doable. Those aren't bad for logging roads and you wouldn't have been on unpaved roads long. They're well-graded too, though potholes can be plentiful. A winch? LOL!

The tire issue, however, is well-founded. Unless one has a full-sized spare and a way to change it, those roads are not kind to tires as the native rock makes somewhat abrasive road gravel. I got a flat once in my pickup truck on the roads just a bit off that route to the north side of Moosehead. The Forest Service carries multiple spares in their vehicles in those parts. With no spare tire on board, taking the all pavement route, though much longer, just might have saved much aggravation.

Hopefully the Cybertruck has tires with a high ply rating, aren't ridiculously low-profile (and thus have more sidewall to absorb shocks), as well as a full-size spare. Time has shown, however, that California-based designers aren't terribly well educated on such matters.

It's got you cutting over to Golden Rd somehow I think. Been a while since I was there but I think it's paved all the way from Golden Rd to ME-6 which is what it appears to have you on all the way to Jackman.

No, the Golden Road becomes unpaved somewhere around Caribou Lake and then the road from the Golden Road to Kokajo is all unpaved. It has been some years since I drove that myself, but I just looked and saw that Google has it mapped on Streetview. It's all unpaved, private road with a Plum Creek sign at the end of pavement in Kokajo the way I remember it, though the Streetview imagry was taken in 2007 - if there has been substantial paving work since then.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
Well if you were starting at Abol then you were already several miles into the unpaved Golden Rd.
Unless they were super muddy (Rain? What's that?) I've had no issues on that road. Not sure about the southerly road after.
Sure wish I had air suspension for that stuff but it's doable even in the 3 especially during the day when you can avoid potholes (and wildlife).
Personally though I would recommend just cracking open a beer and standing in the Penobscott for the day...

Reactions: Farmer
No, the Golden Road becomes unpaved somewhere around Caribou Lake and then the road from the Golden Road to Kokajo is all unpaved. It has been some years since I drove that myself, but I just looked and saw that Google has it mapped on Streetview. It's all unpaved, private road with a Plum Creek sign at the end of pavement in Kokajo the way I remember it, though the Streetview imagry was taken in 2007 - if there has been substantial paving work since then.

Good info. I don't remember that, but for me its been over a decade. Man I miss that state.