Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange HVAC issue since windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fixed the problem by disconnecting the 12 volt, then disconnecting the high voltage connector under the rear right seat and let it sit for like 5 minutes. Then plugged everything back in, hit the brake which reboot the car. Haven't driven around yet or anything, but if I have trouble I'll update. For anyone who does this, make sure you leave a door open after pulling the high voltage, or you wont be able to open the door.

I fixed the problem by disconnecting the 12 volt, then disconnecting the high voltage connector under the rear right seat and let it sit for like 5 minutes. Then plugged everything back in, hit the brake which reboot the car. Haven't driven around yet or anything, but if I have trouble I'll update. For anyone who does this, make sure you leave a door open after pulling the high voltage, or you wont be able to open the door.

Update: After the car sitting overnight when it woke up in the morning it was back to blowing only on the windshield. I guess the only true solution is pushing the update.

I don't have a Tesla but I came across this thread while looking for a solution for my A/C problem. I suspect that debris from the windshield installation might be the problem, I often buy cars from insurance auctions and I have had problems with pieces of glass blocking the blend door and just happened again after I had a windshield replaced on a Saturn Vue, it was fine the day before.

To add another data point here, I went through the same issue with 2021.36.8. I had the windshield replaced yesterday, and in Auto, the climate control system only blew up at the windshield. I sent a message to my SA through the app and cited this message thread as my troubleshooting. She sent the update, and once installed, everything went back to normal. Shout-out to Melissa from the Honolulu SC who sent the update right away!

Reactions: alexcue
Just went through this after getting my windshield replaced. HVAC would only blow on the windshield when in Auto mode, manually I could control everything but it was annoying. Submitted a service request to Tesla, they pushed an update, then everything started working fine again. Service Tech said when they replace the windshield there are a couple sensors that need to be calibrated and that if I need to do it again there is an option in the Service screen that allows you to re-push your last software update, I'll have to check on that. As for Autopilot, it seemed to hug the right side of the road at first but by the next day it was keeping the car centered as before so no calibration was needed for Autopilot to work the same as before the new windshield.

My other issue is the Tesla branded windshield has a defect in it, a 2-foot long distortion that runs from the bottom to the top of the glass next to the Tesla stamp on the glass. Every horizontal line like a road line or guard rail has a distinct step in it, very annoying. What's more annoying is the defect wasn't seen before the windshield was installed.

The resolution to this is to put in a service request under "software" in the app and ask them to repush you a software update. Even if its the same version installing the software will recalibrate the sensors related to the AC and correct the issue. Just had my windshield replaced a couple days ago with this same issue. Found the answer on another forum. This is the definitive fix.

It might not be a bug.

What probably. happened is one of the sensors is attached to a foam which is attached to the windshield. It’s very sensitive and can break during removal/installation of the windshield.

Likely you’ll need it replaced (mobile service can do it) and safelite will have to pay for it.

Good luck. Happened to me but I went to Tesla and didn’t have to deal with a third party.
There are over 25 instances listed in this thread of the issue being resolved with a software reload. That's the much more likely and easier solution over a hardware issue.

Same here, I thought I was going crazy.

Requested software update let’s see what happens.
Well, it was not fun trying to talk to Tesla support, I tried to have them re-push a software update, but they wanted me to speak with service advisor, who are booked 4 weeks out. I never got a call back from the service advisor.

I just happened to get the 2021.40.6 update and all seems well, Auto Climate control no longer blows from defroster and vents controls work, I waited a few days just to make sure it stuck

Well, it was not fun trying to talk to Tesla support, I tried to have them re-push a software update, but they wanted me to speak with service advisor, who are booked 4 weeks out. I never got a call back from the service advisor.
No need to talk to anyone at Tesla. Just make a service appointment on the app and select software update and enter the reason in the description. Service triage should push an update in a day or two and then cancel the appointment.

Reactions: Jmolloy3
I had tried that and it forced me to choose a service center appointment
Yes, exactly, did you even read my post? Here i'll try it again with the pertinent steps bolded.

"No need to talk to anyone at Tesla. Just make a service appointment on the app and select software update and enter the reason in the description. Service triage should push an update in a day or two and then cancel the appointment."

Reactions: GoergeJetson
Yes, exactly, did you even read my post? Here i'll try it again with the pertinent steps bolded.

"No need to talk to anyone at Tesla. Just make a service appointment on the app and select software update and enter the reason in the description. Service triage should push an update in a day or two and then cancel the appointment."
I agree, yes I did that requested software update.

They still forced me to schedule an appointment.

I did get a software update in the meantime

51D410FF-4787-48BB-BC52-F83075E80ADE.jpeg

Reactions: Jmolloy3
I just had my windshield replaced last week Tuesday, and I had the same HVAC issue for a few days. The car went into a deep sleep on Friday (when I got in and tried to drive I got a message asking me to "wait for all systems to reboot"...or something to that effect) , and after that the system had recalibrated itself without needing a software update, and was working correctly again.

I just had my windshield replaced last week Tuesday, and I had the same HVAC issue for a few days. The car went into a deep sleep on Friday (when I got in and tried to drive I got a message asking me to "wait for all systems to reboot"...or something to that effect) , and after that the system had recalibrated itself without needing a software update, and was working correctly again.
...and I was wrong, the system just reverted to Manual. The auto function still just directs air to the windshield. Time to request a software push.

Reactions: GoergeJetson