TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange Ideal vs. Estimated miles behavior

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Strib, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Strib

Strib Member

I thought the Ideal Miles calculation was based on the CAC and the Estimated Miles was discounted from this by an amount that depends on one's driving habits. But several times, while conservatively driving about 50 miles on the freeway, my Estimated Miles display actually EXCEEDED my Ideal Miles display by 4-5 miles. Anyone understand this?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

It sounds like you answered your own question. You drove more conservatively than the ideal energy rate, therefore the estimated range became higher than the ideal.

3. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

If I recall correctly, the "Ideal" is based on a stable average speed of 55 mph. I have had the experience you have had, but usually when I have been driving on roads with speed limits around 35 or 45 mph

4. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I've also seen this happen.

What we really need is "Forecasted Miles" based on how you're *going* to drive. Still waiting for that crystal ball upgrade, tho...

5. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

The other thing that factors in is that the Estimated Miles is based on a short (I'll let someone else chime in here as I do not recall) sampling distance.

Because the last 6 miles of my 54 mile typical commute home is through town, I regularly reach my garage with more Estimated than Ideal miles (at least in the summer).

6. Chris Lockfort

Chris Lockfort 2008 Roadster 1.5 + 2015 Zero SR

If I recall it's 40 miles, and it's stored in one of the not-encrypted files that you can dump via USB (whpm.log).

My estimated goes over ideal all the time when I come down from mountains, charging my car as I zoom past vehicles doing the considerably more inelegant periodic braking and idling.