Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange incident on commute this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not have autopilot available, no blue lines, even the speed limit sign was missing. Did a soft reboot while driving, and still none of it came back, will try again on the way home and see. This is the first time for me seeing the screen so sparce on the left.

Anybody else?

Happened to me once on a previous version. Tried the reboots to no avail. I even called service about it and they were going to schedule an appointment several weeks out. I drove home and parked. When I got in the car later to drive somewhere else, everything was back to normal. Has not happened since.

Reactions: DNAPoPo
This happens to be about every other day on the commute home. Neither a shutdown or reboot seems to fix the issue. It always works again in the morning, I'm guessing due to it waking up from a deep sleep? I started noticing this on 8.5. I recently got 12.1.2 which didnt fix the issue. I actually called in yesterday and they've scheduled mobile support which was to reach out to me within 72 hours. Said my cameras probably need to be recalibrated.

• Informative
Reactions: DNAPoPo
This happens to be about every other day on the commute home. Neither a shutdown or reboot seems to fix the issue. It always works again in the morning, I'm guessing due to it waking up from a deep sleep? I started noticing this on 8.5. I recently got 12.1.2 which didnt fix the issue. I actually called in yesterday and they've scheduled mobile support which was to reach out to me within 72 hours. Said my cameras probably need to be recalibrated.

Maybe something physical with the cameras and sensors? Bad condensation or park under pigeons at work?

Did not have autopilot available, no blue lines, even the speed limit sign was missing. Did a soft reboot while driving, and still none of it came back, will try again on the way home and see. This is the first time for me seeing the screen so sparce on the left.

Anybody else?

Same exact symptoms I encountered today. Did the reset with scroll wheels and brake but didn't fix it. Called Tesla support and the tech had me do the power off process but that didn't fix it either. Hopefully, it'll come back on its own as most of you on this thread had attested.

Tesla service told me it is a known software be issue and a fix is coming.

Good to know!

As to the same issue I experienced from yesterday, sure enough, it got resolved the today after an overnight of charging, not that I'm saying the overnight charging resolved it... it just resolved itself I guess just like for the folks who had encountered it.

I got 8.5 as soon as it came out and am now on 12.1.2, again on day one. My AP has been not working probably 90% of the time since I got 8.5. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

I called service as an 8 hour drive without even the possibility of dumb cruise control was killing me. They told me it was a known issue and would hopefully soon be fixed in a future upgrade. I was very disappointed when 12.1.2 didn't fix my problem.

For a decade plus on my cars, I would try to clean the rear-facing camera every time I walked past it. Well, not every time, but you get the point.

Since the Tesla uses the cameras for all of it's AI vision, I wonder if you just had a splat of bird poop on one of the side cameras or similar that simply prevented it from 'seeing.'

Although if this were the case, a nice error message would be a great addition. "Please clean your cameras, auto pilot of other safety features unavailable until you do"

Reactions: Rottenapplr
For a decade plus on my cars, I would try to clean the rear-facing camera every time I walked past it. Well, not every time, but you get the point.

Since the Tesla uses the cameras for all of it's AI vision, I wonder if you just had a splat of bird poop on one of the side cameras or similar that simply prevented it from 'seeing.'

Although if this were the case, a nice error message would be a great addition. "Please clean your cameras, auto pilot of other safety features unavailable until you do"
That would make sense as opposed to a all encompassing error message that doesn’t point you to any direction.