Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Issue Driving Straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2019 X 100D (pre-Raven). It’s developed a strange issue that Tesla has not been able to diagnose.

When driving straight, the car will randomly “tug” to the left or the right. You can feel the tension on the wheel and it’s as if the car is fighting you. It can always be overcome, but you have to apply a similar amount of tension as you would to remove the AP nag.

We have all the lane-keeping driver aids off (and it shows, because this “tug” will try and drive you off the road).

I took a video, and when you take your hands off the wheel, you can see the wheel move by itself one way or the other (or both ways). It’s really strange when you change lanes and go over bumps as that tends to exacerbate the issue. Someone is always quick to suggest some of the AP/lane departure avoidance systems, but they keep you ON the road where this problem will drive you OFF the road if you didn’t fight it.

It’s so subtle, that 3 times into service it comes back with them not able to replicate the issue. They even did an alignment thinking it was that (I doubted it as this tug is an “active, changing tug” not a persistent pull one way or another), but in a process of elimination, it had to be eliminated.

it’s frustrating because it’s a seriously negative to constantly fight the tug, and I’m worried it will make driving with our camping trailer dangerous as those tugs will be amplified. It’s almost driven us off the road several times, and honestly I’ve engaged AP several times (where the problem doesn’t seem to exist) just because I’ve grown weary of the fight on longer drives. It does not happen when you are actively steering one direction or another (I.e. going around a curve), only when trying to drive straight.

Anyone have a similar issue? It’s annoying enough we are thinking of getting a different vehicle...which I’d prefer not to do.

It sounds like the electronics that tug the wheel when you drift out off is going haywire. Or the sensors that think your drifting is misinforming. If I’m not mistaken it will gently tug before it gives any visible or audible warnings that your drifting. But it might show red lines when it “normally” tugs.

You might try recalibration cameras.

I can’t see this being mechanical.

That’s my wild ass guess. Good luck.
Please follow up.

Does this issue happen on a specific road?

Obviously some roads may have issues with autopilot. If you can get this to happen on a road close to your service center, that would be the best way to duplicate that for them so they can experience it.
It happens everywhere, all the time. Practically all roads that are straight. It’s not AP, AP, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Departure Assist, are all off.

It sounds like the electronics that tug the wheel when you drift out off is going haywire. Or the sensors that think your drifting is misinforming. If I’m not mistaken it will gently tug before it gives any visible or audible warnings that your drifting. But it might show red lines when it “normally” tugs.

You might try recalibration cameras.

I can’t see this being mechanical.

That’s my wild ass guess. Good luck.
Please follow up.
Yes, but all those lane keeping/warning system are turned off (intentionally so we knew it wasn’t them). And AP when engaged works fine so either it’s not having the issue while on AP (leading to it being software somehow) or that it’s just automatically compensating for it.

Yes, but all those lane keeping/warning system are turned off (intentionally so we knew it wasn’t them). And AP when engaged works fine so either it’s not having the issue while on AP (leading to it being software somehow) or that it’s just automatically compensating for it.

If something is faulty it may not matter if the “software” has it off.

Not sure if lane assist uses the exact same sensors as lane departure.

If it wasn’t “broken” you wouldn’t be having any problem.

Some faults can falsely activate things they shouldn’t. Some crash avoidance system might be glitching on.

Possibly what is broken is defeated when under AP. Like lane assist !!! In fact, if you never have the issue under AP, that’s possibly a good hint that it’s something faulty with lane assist.

You’re right that AP could be compensating. I doubt it’s a bug or we’d hear more complaints.

I suggest posting video so people would stop guessing it's AP :) . Does it feels same as when you disengage line assist when pulling the wheel? Or do you have to constantly keep pressure (like flat tire) when it happens?

All the reactive measures that car performs to avoid accidents is followed by beeping/warnings etc., so you would know if it's the car trying to stay in lanes.

Just to rule it out, grooved highways? Dished-out highway indentations? New tires with squirmy tread blocks?
Any chance it's a loose tie rod, or a sloppy-fitting steering joint?
Not grooved highways, not dished out indentations. Tires have 15,000km on them.
Not sure about a tie-rod or steering joint, but it’s been in the SC 3x for this same issue and they can’t find anything wrong.

I suggest posting video so people would stop guessing it's AP :) . Does it feels same as when you disengage line assist when pulling the wheel? Or do you have to constantly keep pressure (like flat tire) when it happens?

All the reactive measures that car performs to avoid accidents is followed by beeping/warnings etc., so you would know if it's the car trying to stay in lanes.
Yes I will make a new video that doesn’t involve me incriminating myself. Hah. It’s the only reason I didn’t post the one I have.

I had a similar experience on my 2016 P90D, but not as severe. Before I knew Autosteer was on, I felt like the car was turning for me (which it was). Turning it off helped, but the suspension still wandered. I noticed my steering wheel was off centered so I took it into service and despite what people say about it being a software adjustment, they had to do an alignment. They found that the front fore and aft links were cracked so they replaced them. Now the steering wheel's centered, snaps back to center, and tracks straight no matter the road condition.

Looks like they already did an alignment for you, but maybe have the suspension inspected if they haven't already.

If something is faulty it may not matter if the “software” has it off.

Not sure if lane assist uses the exact same sensors as lane departure.

If it wasn’t “broken” you wouldn’t be having any problem.

Some faults can falsely activate things they shouldn’t. Some crash avoidance system might be glitching on.

Possibly what is broken is defeated when under AP. Like lane assist !!! In fact, if you never have the issue under AP, that’s possibly a good hint that it’s something faulty with lane assist.

Just an hour ago I took note of the car doing a corrective action and there is no follow up beeping or warnings if you yield to the nudge from the wheel. If you don’t yield then it will start to get mad. It will silently nudge you without AP.

This particular case I was exiting the highway and forgot my blinker. I always disengage AP before an exit. As I crossed the line it gave me a gentle nudge in the wheel. If I had my blinker on it would not have done anything.

I have some similar symptoms. It’s very noticeable on wet or snow covered roads. I’m also having extreme front tire wear (see my other thread). Tesla aligned it to no avail so I’m trying another local shop tomorrow. Will report back what they find.

Interesting. We just swapped to summer tires (well, all-seasons anyway) so I'm curious if the issue still exists. The winters are the Tesla supplied Pirelli Scorpions. I will be heading out to do an updated video this afternoon.
Looking forward to the video

Sometimes tires can exhibit issues such as this. A way we test is by switching tires from left to right, or trying out a test set of wheels and tires. simple and effective way to rule out tires.

Interesting. They did an alignment as part of the assumed causes and it only had one value out, and not by much(according to their specs).
If “they” was the Tesla SC, I highly recommend getting it aligned somewhere else. My problem started with an alignment at the Tesla SC. Getting it aligned at Firestone fixed it, plus I got a lifetime alignment at Firestone for less than what Tesla charged for a one time alignment.

If “they” was the Tesla SC, I highly recommend getting it aligned somewhere else. My problem started with an alignment at the Tesla SC. Getting it aligned at Firestone fixed it, plus I got a lifetime alignment at Firestone for less than what Tesla charged for a one time alignment.
Well that's certainly something I never considered. Noted.