Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange issue with Tesla related to cruise control and car lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a strange experience past weekend. MYLR suddenly started behaving strange. It won't lock when parked in the mall and won't activate cruise control. There were no sign of any other warning before driving or while driving.

Locking issue:
1) Locking car from Mobile didnt get any error but checking status it will always be unlocked. Getting alarms from Tesla on mobile that my car is unlocked but no reason why it can't lock.
2) When driving the car doors wont lock. I have to manually touch the lock screen to lock the car (hope that locked)

Cruise Issue:
When activating cruise control got error can't activate cruise control and no reason as to why, the link to why it failed showed few things in manual but none of the reason made sense.

I did find an accidental solution. I was trying to do light show and that won't work either so I decided to open and close rear 2 doors and well luck has it that light show worked and so did everything else. All the issues were gone.

Strangely there was never a warning that any of the doors were open when driving or before driving. Did anyone else face this issue before. Solution though strange does make sense as Tesla detected in error that door was open, but wondering why didn't Tesla diagnostic show that? If there is a door open one would always get thar warning, door is open. There was no such warning.

Anyone faced similar issue?

After my accident (very light tap from behind that smooshed in the rear hatch) the car thought the hatch was open even after the body shop guys got it latched. The doors would not lock and cruise control and autopilot would not work.

But unlike your experience, the car loudly and obnoxiously told me the hatch was open.

Once the car was repaired everything works normally.

I bet one of the rear doors wasn't closed properly - or at least the car thought it wasn't closed properly

(sorry I just reread your post, so yes that's what you said)

As an experiment, try to not close one all the way and see if the symptoms return ... then try it with the other door

Have you had Tesla look at the logs?

I bet one of the rear doors wasn't closed properly - or at least the car thought it wasn't closed properly

(sorry I just reread your post, so yes that's what you said)

As an experiment, try to not close one all the way and see if the symptoms return ... then try it with the other door

Have you had Tesla look at the logs?

As I read the OP, what surprises me is that if the car thought a door was not fully closed, there should have been a warning to that effect.

It's certainly an interesting conundrum - almost as if there were two systems operating, though how would that make any sense

One alternative is that the back door thing is a red herring and it was really something else that cured the problem. My Prius for instance will not lock with the keys still inside the car, but if I went back to it, absent mindedly picked up the keys and tried the back doors thing, I might think it was the back doors that was the solution

I'm not saying this is what happened, just that there may be a different reason

I also wonder if the child lock system (that I know nothing about) played any part in it

This was a strange experience past weekend. MYLR suddenly started behaving strange. It won't lock when parked in the mall and won't activate cruise control. There were no sign of any other warning before driving or while driving.

Locking issue:
1) Locking car from Mobile didnt get any error but checking status it will always be unlocked. Getting alarms from Tesla on mobile that my car is unlocked but no reason why it can't lock.
2) When driving the car doors wont lock. I have to manually touch the lock screen to lock the car (hope that locked)

Cruise Issue:
When activating cruise control got error can't activate cruise control and no reason as to why, the link to why it failed showed few things in manual but none of the reason made sense.

I did find an accidental solution. I was trying to do light show and that won't work either so I decided to open and close rear 2 doors and well luck has it that light show worked and so did everything else. All the issues were gone.

At Strangely there was never a warning that any of the doors were open when driving or before driving. Did anyone else face this issue before. Solution though strange does make sense as Tesla detected in error that door was open, but wondering why didn't Tesla diagnostic show that? If there is a door open one would always get thar warning, door is open. There was no such warning.

Anyone faced similar issue?
After updating to 10.69.3.2 I got a message that my model Y was unlocked after the first leg of my trip. Before the update the car would self lock. After the second leg going home I lost cruise control (DI_a175) and FSD. I tried a soft and hard reset to no avail then I read the post here that opening and closing the doors, trunk and drunk worked. I tried this unlikely fix and it worked!