Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange loud whirring fan noise from grill in the front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a 2021 Model 3 LR on Friday. Absolutely love the car!

Twice now there has been a loud fan like noise (as if there is something in the fan) coming
from the front grill area. The car was not charging but the screen was active. I was outside the
car both times this happened. Sounded almost like a big electric shaver

Any clue?

It's normal. I have the same sound out of my 2021 SR+. It's usually only the first 5min of the car being turned on and then goes away. I've been told by my local Tesla Service center that it's the compressor spooling up to cool the interior or battery. Whichever is calling for cooling.

It's normal. I have the same sound out of my 2021 SR+. It's usually only the first 5min of the car being turned on and then goes away. I've been told by my local Tesla Service center that it's the compressor spooling up to cool the interior or battery. Whichever is calling for cooling.
Thank you for your response. So, the big razor sound is the compressor? Interesting.
It sounds like a buzzing fan like noise.

Yea I thought it was strange too. Mine sounds just like that buzzing sound. Like a plastic fan blade hitting another piece of plastic at a high rate of speed. It usually goes away after a few minutes into a drive. But I took a summer road trip and it spooled up the compressor pretty loud for the whole time I was supercharging. Which it was 90+ degrees outside and supercharging heats up the battery a lot.

Reactions: BnGrm
Yea I thought it was strange too. Mine sounds just like that buzzing sound. Like a plastic fan blade hitting another piece of plastic at a high rate of speed. It usually goes away after a few minutes into a drive. But I took a summer road trip and it spooled up the compressor pretty loud for the whole time I was supercharging. Which it was 90+ degrees outside and supercharging heats up the battery a lot.
Thank you for letting me know! It is an odd sound!

Fan noise like a high pitched whine is normal. But a loud or grating sound is not. I had an unusual sound, took it to service and they charges $175 to diagnose the sound and another 200 or so to remove rocks or pebble from the fan blades!

Fan noise like a high pitched whine is normal. But a loud or grating sound is not. I had an unusual sound, took it to service and they charges $175 to diagnose the sound and another 200 or so to remove rocks or pebble from the fan blades!
The newer Teslas with the heat pump have a weird sound now when it's cooling the car. The heat pump just runs in reverse to provide cooling and it makes an odd noise compared to the original AC compressors.