Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange low frequency rumbling sounds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums as I just received my 2021 Model 3 SR+ last week. So far I absolutely love it, but have noticed a strange intermittent low frequency rumbling coming from the car while in park, and while driving. The best way to describe the sound is a 2 second test-signal through a subwoofer. It can occur as frequently as every 20 seconds. Sometimes I don't hear it at all.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this or if this is something I should contact the service department about.

Thanks in advance.

Well, since it also happens while parked, I will rule out wheels and such.
That could leave the HVAC system.
The HVAC system will come on if you use heat or air, but will also come on to heat and cool the battery, and computer.
So it will intermittently turn on and off as you described.
It will absolutely have a low grumbly sound as well. Other times it won’t.
That’s my guess.
If you start to make note of what the battery temp would be, the outside temp, etc. you might start to see a trend for when you hear it.
Helps you understand what the sounds are. :)

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums as I just received my 2021 Model 3 SR+ last week. So far I absolutely love it, but have noticed a strange intermittent low frequency rumbling coming from the car while in park, and while driving. The best way to describe the sound is a 2 second test-signal through a subwoofer. It can occur as frequently as every 20 seconds. Sometimes I don't hear it at all.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this or if this is something I should contact the service department about.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Im having the same issue and unfortunately its not properly been addressed by Tesla, the service folks told me the following which I do not agree with at all:

Just following up on your recent visit to Tesla Service Santa Clara.

Jennifer had mentioned you were disappointed with the outcome of the noise concern you had detailed on Line 2 of your invoice (attached for reference):

Customer states intermittent click/thumping noise when parked and driving at highway speeds

Technician Inspected the vehicles heat pump and compressor and found no obstruction. Technician confirmed vehicles compressor bushings are intact. Technician compared to similar model 3's and confirmed noises too be similar and confirmed noise is a normal characteristic of model 3. No work performed at this time.

As the vehicle is currently operating as designed, no further repairs are deemed necessary nor would there be grounds for any sort of re-purchase of the vehicle by Tesla.

Should you wish to proceed with any additional diagnostics of the vehicle for this concern, we are more than happy to accommodate however this would be a customer pay item as this is considered outside the vehicle’s warranty. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Well, since it also happens while parked, I will rule out wheels and such.
That could leave the HVAC system.
The HVAC system will come on if you use heat or air, but will also come on to heat and cool the battery, and computer.
So it will intermittently turn on and off as you described.
It will absolutely have a low grumbly sound as well. Other times it won’t.
That’s my guess.
If you start to make note of what the battery temp would be, the outside temp, etc. you might start to see a trend for when you hear it.
Helps you understand what the sounds are. :)

Did you issue get resolved if so, how. Im not having any luck. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Hello, this is also my first post - I registered specifically to respond to this.
I have a Model 3 2021 Performance (since Jan 31) which also does the same, based on your very good description. It is definitely related to HVAC, but possibly not specifically AC (heat pump). I know this because (a) it happens even if stopped and/or in Park; (b) it does not happen when the AC system is switched fully off; (c) it happens if the AC (ie. heat pump) is off, but the fan is still switched on. I tested the cases long enough to know that it's thus definitely connected to HVAC. However... note that the HVAC system is also used to run other heating/cooling, eg. the battery, so the things we switch on can be different to what is operating. In my case it does not happen every drive, even though the fan is always on for some ventilation. When I thoroughly tested these cases, the outside temp was about 20C (68F), and it had been calmly driven a short distance, so there was no chance the battery needed cooling (or warming, I assume).
It's quiet enough not to be annoying, but loud enough to be strange. Regardless of ICE vs EV, there is zero chance any of my other cars' HVAC systems produced a similar sound/vibration. I know sound=vibration, but this one is unusual, in that it is just significant enough to feel rather than just hear. I also know that unforeseen vibration can lead to premature failures, so I am hoping that whatever it is has an intended purpose rather than a design oversight. If I had to guess at a physical description of the source, I would guess either: a variable speed fan where blades or duct shudders briefly as the fan passes through a natural frequency; or something driven by a toothed belt where the system passes through a certain speed or load and the belt shudders briefly as it passes through a natural frequency.

Hello, this is also my first post - I registered specifically to respond to this.
I have a Model 3 2021 Performance (since Jan 31) which also does the same, based on your very good description. It is definitely related to HVAC, but possibly not specifically AC (heat pump). I know this because (a) it happens even if stopped and/or in Park; (b) it does not happen when the AC system is switched fully off; (c) it happens if the AC (ie. heat pump) is off, but the fan is still switched on. I tested the cases long enough to know that it's thus definitely connected to HVAC. However... note that the HVAC system is also used to run other heating/cooling, eg. the battery, so the things we switch on can be different to what is operating. In my case it does not happen every drive, even though the fan is always on for some ventilation. When I thoroughly tested these cases, the outside temp was about 20C (68F), and it had been calmly driven a short distance, so there was no chance the battery needed cooling (or warming, I assume).
It's quiet enough not to be annoying, but loud enough to be strange. Regardless of ICE vs EV, there is zero chance any of my other cars' HVAC systems produced a similar sound/vibration. I know sound=vibration, but this one is unusual, in that it is just significant enough to feel rather than just hear. I also know that unforeseen vibration can lead to premature failures, so I am hoping that whatever it is has an intended purpose rather than a design oversight. If I had to guess at a physical description of the source, I would guess either: a variable speed fan where blades or duct shudders briefly as the fan passes through a natural frequency; or something driven by a toothed belt where the system passes through a certain speed or load and the belt shudders briefly as it passes through a natural frequency.
Just got my model 3 dual motor this week and have noticed this noise. consistently every 20 seconds. Seems to me to be coming from the sub. just a low frequency vibration you can feel and hear for about 2 seconds. will do a bit of investigation. My first thought it was through the audio system. Everything else is great so far.

VIN 88.XXX, Dec. 2020 production.

I hoped that I would get used to the low frequency rumble related to the AC compressor, but now at 18k miles, after several road trips, I have to say that it really annoys me. While road tripping, I'll power-nap while charging, and the rumbling sound is disturbing enough to wake me up. Of course, it isn't noticeable while driving, only while stopped with the AC running.

I know my compressor has the black insulating cover, but the rumble seems to be a structural vibration, from the compressor not being adequately isolated from the car frame/structure.

Has anyone tried modifying how the compressor is mounted? Maybe there's a better way to isolate it?

Greetings from Atlanta. We have a 2020 Model 3 with less the 15k miles that we have owned for less then a month. We absolutely Love this car. But, Twice in the last 2 days, while pulling out at super low speed, i have experienced a sound / feeling as though I have run over a large object. Shake, shudder, vibration that lasted about 1 second. Both times it has been during wet / rainy conditions. We also are running with the auto braking setting on. This evening i stopped and looked underneath thinking that i had to have hit something… Nothing…. Thoughts?