TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

strange low-speed brake noise/vibration

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JohnFS, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JohnFS

JohnFS New Member

I am a new owner (3 weeks). I have an annoying intermittent problem. At low speeds, when gently applying the brakes to come to a stop, there is an occasional loud vibration/ noise. It sounds like a groan and is very annoying. I would say it happens about 20% of the time. At ordinary speeds the brakes are effective and make no noise. Anyone had this?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Welcome! I've had my Roadster about 5 weeks and its starting to do that less than when it was new. I assumed the pads needed to get broken in. This happens with a lot of new cars. If you search the forums you'll find people using aftermarket pads that are quieter. My rotors get rusty in humid weather because I barely use the mechanical brakes and I think the rust and dirt load the pads and make them noisier than ICE cars.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I had it also for the first month or so. Using the regen for braking means it takes longer for the brake pads to be get broken in. The Service Ranger told me it would go away after about a month and he was spot on.

4. JohnFS

JohnFS New Member

Thanks! I was hoping it would be something like this. I think the ocurrence has been diminishing.

5. strider

strider Active Member

You can speed it up by bedding in the brakes. Find a lonely stretch of road and do the following:

Accelerate to ~30mph and jam on the brakes to almost a stop. Repeat 4 times (for a total of 5). Do it 5 more times from 60mph. Then drive the car on the freeway ideally for a few miles to let everything cool. Park the car and don't use the e-brake for several hours.