Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

strange low-speed brake noise/vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner (3 weeks). I have an annoying intermittent problem. At low speeds, when gently applying the brakes to come to a stop, there is an occasional loud vibration/ noise. It sounds like a groan and is very annoying. I would say it happens about 20% of the time. At ordinary speeds the brakes are effective and make no noise. Anyone had this?

Welcome! I've had my Roadster about 5 weeks and its starting to do that less than when it was new. I assumed the pads needed to get broken in. This happens with a lot of new cars. If you search the forums you'll find people using aftermarket pads that are quieter. My rotors get rusty in humid weather because I barely use the mechanical brakes and I think the rust and dirt load the pads and make them noisier than ICE cars.

You can speed it up by bedding in the brakes. Find a lonely stretch of road and do the following:

Accelerate to ~30mph and jam on the brakes to almost a stop. Repeat 4 times (for a total of 5). Do it 5 more times from 60mph. Then drive the car on the freeway ideally for a few miles to let everything cool. Park the car and don't use the e-brake for several hours.

Mine has started doing that too.
It's a VERY LOUD GROAN - sounds like a train is coming to a stop!

May try the multiple hard brakes (I have been trying to do it safely while driving but that clearly is not enough). Probably need to get the brakes warmed up ...