Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange new message - Car needs service, contact tesla service when convenient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was driving home from work on a regular surface street, no autopilot engaged, and received a bell tone and a red alert on the main console. When I selected the alert, the following message was displayed (see attached image): "Car needs service. Contact Tesla Service when convenient."

The car's functioning did not appear in any way degraded after that and I drove home normally. I decided to use the in-car error reporting feature to report it so the service center would be aware of the event and have the logs ready. (I have had best luck getting quick responses from the service center when I do this). I did a thorough web search and search on this forum and I do not see anyone with obviously the same issue.

Have any if you encountered this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

When I got a message about my 12v battery, it popped up and I called service immediately. They said it's an early warning, and I was still good for a few more weeks. So, maybe they changed the verbiage so that people don't freak out and think their car is going to die in 10 minutes.

Just a guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Novel idea - Why doesn't Tesla actually tells us what the error is so we aren't left guessing whether we are going to be stranded?

Agree--but unlikely that it's serious when the words "when convenient" are in there.

I got something like that about a month ago, though I recall the verbiage being much more urgent. The service rep was sort of concerned - it was either not a big deal or my battery had started to become detached. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the A/C system. Easy fix, no charge.

...and if it's just an advance notice that Tesla wants to do some preventive maintenance, frankly I think their generic message is just fine. I personally love the detail as a guy that has been associated with tech for 40+ years (oops, there I go dating myself) and would want to know what it meant, but in our social media society with nefarious people that scan threads like this to put out-of-context tidbits into their own articles to drive clicks to their website or service... Well, IMHO, I must say, "Job well done Tesla", to accomplish what you want to proactively communicate with your owner (unlike what most every other auto mfgr is capable of out there), not cause a lot of concern, but head-off the crazies that love to speculate if you said a whole lot more in a short message. :)

FWIW I had about 11 error messages pop up and one of them was "contact tesla service as soon as possible" and that was followed by so many other bad things you don't even want to know. But I had never seen this before just as contact tesla service. On my case the car did tell me specifically what was wrong though.

Same thing happened to me yesterday robert and like you, mine was cleared this morning when I went to plug in the car. I called Tesla yesterday and they were going to get back to me this morning. We'll see what they say. Not sure if it cleared on its own overnight or if they cleared it.

I had this pop up a few days after the v7.0 push. After logging in remotely, the tech said it was indeed related to v7.0. They had a lot of cars not correctly reinitialize some local storage after the update. However, the issue would only manifest itself in the inability to save audio system favorites and some other small items. After a full vehicle reset, the problem was fixed.

Unfortunately, I wasn't informed beforehand of any potential gotchas, nor notified when the issue was actually resolved, so I could check the car out myself. I didn't use it the rest of the evening. The next morning, I found the the car hadn't completely restarted. I finished the job, only to notice that my normally scheduled overnight recharge did not take place. I was left with insufficient capacity for the day.

Needless to say, Tesla service did not do well at review time......