Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise coming from behind 17" screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, have we determined that there was a hardware change at some point so that more recent builds don't have this? Its summer here in PHX, so it is almost always over 100* in the car. And I'm quite certain I dont have the fan. Esp. if its that loud and since Im on 4.4 it would be running at 100% based on these reports.

I am happy I looked at this thread. (I am relatively new to TMC). I began having this 'fan noise' issue on May 31 and it has been constant ever since. My firmware version is 4.4. I received the notice for 4.5 but I have not yet downloaded it. The noise is quite loud in my car. With all the windows and pano roof closed, I need to go above about 40 mph for the road noise to be louder than the fan. Or, with the radio playing music the volume needs to be from 4 to 6 before I can't hear the fan anymore. The car used to be silent. I sincerely hope they can fix this issue so the car can be quiet again.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and install 4.5. I'd rather have my fans on all the time at a lower level rather then going full bore 100% all of the time.

So are there people who never had the fan noise previously, but only started getting it with 4.5? If that's the case, I'm definitely holding off upgrading til its sorted out. I dont have it now. Haven't been prompted to install 4.5 yet, and dont need any of the features in 4.5 yet.

I started having the fan noise after I picked up my car from service yesterday. The work done was rather substantial (replaced battery pack). Also, 4.5 was installed while they had it. Assume the fan noise is related to the new firmware ;-(

On June 7 the update icon appeared. Installed v4.5 (1.33.48) and the fan now runs when the car is off. Reset the consoles and even pressed power off on the touchscreen. Opened the driver window, unplugged the Model S and locked the doors with the key fob. The fan continues to run while listening through the open window. I called Tesla Motors to report the issue so hopefully it will be fixed unless this is expected behavior. If it is now normal for the fan to run, then Tesla needs to add this information to the release notes so we know the changes they are making. I certainly understand running the fan if the temperatures are extreme, but the garage is cool.

I started getting the loud fan issue on Thursday, when it was very hot here. That evening, I also got a low voltage warning that the car may not restart. It's possible the two items are related. The local Service Center has had the car since Friday morning - the local technicians are working with Tesla engineering to do more detailed diagnostics on the battery and charging systems - and the earliest I might get my car back is Monday.

Unclear if the fan issue is related - or just a coincidence. I've asked them to check into this while they're working on the "may not restart" warning.

Here's a heads up - I called the service center about this fan noise. Guy at Menlo Park confirmed that in 4.4 (I'm on 4.4) someone set a fan temp threshold incorrectly. He said that it would be fixed in the next firmware update "which I think is coming out this week?" (his question mark).

Hopefully he'll have it sorted out when I bring it in next week for service either way. Not sure if Mark Z's 1.33.48 is the new rollout of 4.5 or not. Either way, this is his statement, not mine. Maybe it won't be fixed until 4.6... I sure wouldn't mind a hotfix system either way.