Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise coming from behind 17" screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
It started a few days ago. It sounds like a hard drive spinning constantly and it can be heard while driving and it's very apparent as it is louder than the A/C or any other sound the car makes while standing still. I've tried rebooting 17" and drivers/center display and trying to "power off" the car through settings. Nothing has affected this issue. As I have not been able to charge the car at night or at all since I need a new UMC (picking it up tomorrow at the LA service center) I'm not sure if this issue and the bad UMC are connected in any way. After calling TM they said the car has not reported any errors and they are not concerned about driving it 130 miles into the service center.

Had this looked/listened to at the LA service store and it was basically triaged to be a bad fan and the 17" display assembly needs to be replaced. I was assured that it will not fail during our trip back to Seattle. Lets see how that goes

Is this sound somewhat like a soft cooling fan? I've always heard it but it sounds normal to me. Wondering if now it's not a normal sound?
Mine makes this fan noise also. It sounds like it's coming from the dash area, and stops after a few seconds if the screen is manually shut off. It doesn't sound like a bad fan, and I bet it's normal. I'm on 4.2 still BTW.

This issue just developed in my car so I can assure you that it is not a normal operating sound. Up until 3 days ago my car was silent when I was parked with everything off but not it buzzes away. I can hear it while driving as well, quite annoying.

This issue just developed in my car so I can assure you that it is not a normal operating sound. Up until 3 days ago my car was silent when I was parked with everything off but not it buzzes away. I can hear it while driving as well, quite annoying.

Did the interior of your car start getting really hot in recent weather? See the 4.5 thread, but in 4.4 the touchscreen fan gets pegged at 100% when the interior is hot, and a bug in the firmware doesn't let it go back down. Reseating fuse 51 fixes it temporarily. 4.5 fixes that, but also makes the touchscreen fan operate at higher levels than before in general. That's one of the fixes I think they're working on.

I have had this issue since the beginning of April. I took the car in for service because of this, and was without the car for 12 days. When I picked the car up, the fan noise started again within minutes, and it runs 24x7 whether I am in the car or not. Apparently it is fixed in a future software update, but to me it sounds like a broken temperature sensor. What really pisses me off is that all the did to "fix" it is restart the computer (lame).

Darn it. I have the fan noise too and I was hoping that 4.5 was going to fix it. Right now my fan is stuck on 100% all the time and resetting it only fixes the issue until the car gets hot again and it goes to 100% which it won't come down from.

I just got an email from service letting me know my car is in the process of downloading 4.5 and I was excited to not have the fan noise anymore.

Darn it. I have the fan noise too and I was hoping that 4.5 was going to fix it. Right now my fan is stuck on 100% all the time and resetting it only fixes the issue until the car gets hot again and it goes to 100% which it won't come down from.

I just got an email from service letting me know my car is in the process of downloading 4.5 and I was excited to not have the fan noise anymore.

4.5 fixes the fan at 100% issue...but it doesn't fix the "won't shut off" issue.

I got 4.5 last night, and yes, it fixed the issue 100%. I am so happy now -- only one more noise issue left (think I need a wheel balance).

Please let us know if it stays fixed or starts up again. And what specific firmware version.
I have 1.33.44 and while it fixed the fans temporarily, they started up again, although not quite as loud.

I am happy I looked at this thread. (I am relatively new to TMC). I began having this 'fan noise' issue on May 31 and it has been constant ever since. My firmware version is 4.4. I received the notice for 4.5 but I have not yet downloaded it. The noise is quite loud in my car. With all the windows and pano roof closed, I need to go above about 40 mph for the road noise to be louder than the fan. Or, with the radio playing music the volume needs to be from 4 to 6 before I can't hear the fan anymore. The car used to be silent. I sincerely hope they can fix this issue so the car can be quiet again.