TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Strange noise on full throttle acceleration. Any ideas??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dk10438, May 15, 2019.

1. dk10438

dk10438 Member

Hi,
    I just picked up this P100D inventory car and on full throttle acceleration I hear this noise. Already set up an appt with SC. Any ideas as to what this might be??

2. luckyj

luckyj Member

I have the same exact thing, but intermittent. Reported it to the SC, but was unable to reproduce the two times I brought it in...so I've been living with it. Please let me know what you figure out!

3. MSDadMich

MSDadMich Member

I noticed that sound on my 2017 S 75D. Only heard it during this past Michigan winter with cold temps. Now, nada. Also, only heard under full accel.
    Would like to know what you find as well, thx!

4. Hood7

Hood7 Member

I've had that just once in a while in my 2018 S75D. I think that it has only happened when my air suspension had raised itself above standard height (due to location) and I accelerated hard. Just something you might want to investigate.

5. dk10438

dk10438 Member

hmm, maybe i'll leave it on low and see what happens. Anyone know how the suspension decides to raise itself based on GPS position?

6. Hood7

Hood7 Member

I think mine only raises itself when it notices via GPS that it is in the same area where I've manually raised it previously. Not entirely sure if mine ever raises itself otherwise, but that might vary by model or date of manufacture. My car is a wonderful vehicle of mysteries.

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

sounds like axles or cv joints

8. Brettski

Brettski Member

Exact same problem here too. (2018 100D). It's very reproducible on moderate-to-hard acceleration. I brought it to the SC in March, and the lead mechanic confirmed it. They took apart the frunk and couldn't find anything loose. They then put it on the lift and found that the Left front axle nut was loose, and that the wheel bearing was damaged. They replaced the bearing, torqued the nut to spec, and the problem disappeared - until yesterday! I have an appointment this coming Monday. Ugh.

9. GregP100D

GregP100D New Member

Another one with the same problem. Only under hard acceleration and it seems intermittent. I don't always hear it. Haven't determined if temperature or other environmental factors cause it.

10. dk10438

dk10438 Member

I set the car to suspension to the lowest setting and still heard the noise so I doubt it has to do with the suspension. For all the people who have the noise what have you done about it?? Considered it normal or attempted to have it rectified? Seems like there's quite a few people with the problem but not many solutions....

11. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Ooh that doesn't sound good at all, whatever that is must be getting damage done to it. I would think a visual inspection should show something.

12. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

Same thing on my MS100D, July 18 model.
    Mentioned it to SC and they said the changed drive shafts. I still have the noise.

13. BPeter

BPeter Member

Common issue, search these forums for half-shaft shudder.

Set suspension to low before doing a Ludicrous launch

14. ons_

ons_ Member

Yep, half-shaft. Just had one side replaced at around 15K miles.

15. dk10438

dk10438 Member

so if I mention "half shaft shudder" the techs will know what to do? This is a fairly common problem??