TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Strange noise while charging

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Shygar, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Shygar

Shygar Member

Anyone else have this? I can still hear it even while not charging. Just got the car tonight and have only driven it from Fremont to home.

Just wondering if it's normal or not.

2. ahirbe

ahirbe Member

I am not familiar with the M3 but if it is happening while not charging, it could be a fan for heating/cooling the battery like in the MS. Just had both of mine replaced for noises while charging/sitting.

• Like x 1
  3. Shygar

Shygar Member

That makes sense. I checked it again later and the sound stopped. I'll keep an eye on it.

4. MrYenko

MrYenko Member

Most EVs (other than the Leaf) including Models S/X/3 use some form of active battery thermal management which will run pumps and fans even when the car is off and not charging, if the battery temp is out of an acceptable range. That sounds like a fan, but it sounds a bit like a fan with something stuck in it. If it continues to sound like that, I'd take it in. If it stops, maybe it just got a leaf in it.

5. Shygar

Shygar Member

So today when I went to the car, it was completely silent. Then I opened up the app for it to 'wake up', as soon as it woke up, the noise started again and it seems to stay on the whole time the car is 'awake'.

6. tm01

tm01 New Member

From my experience, that's the noise from the HVAC system used to cool the battery. However, the Model 3 i drove did not sound that "scratchy" but rather like a steady buzzing.

7. Shygar

Shygar Member

Update: sounds like they noticed a valve making more noise than expected, so they replaced the superbottle for the coolant system and they said the noise has gone away. I haven't picked up the car yet but was glad to hear that.

• Like x 1