Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have strange noise coming from front left, model S, any ideas, service does not seem to hear?????:scared:
Noise is audible after 15 mph to 100mph inside the car, does seem to change with road conditions,(at times) audible from the left seats, but can be audible from the right seat but not with the same intensity. Help

Noise is audible after 15 mph to 100mph inside the car, does seem to change with road conditions,(at times) audible from the left seats, but can be audible from the right seat but not with the same intensity. Help

Pulsating, whine, low pitched? Ambient lights on? There's just not enough information here. Any chance of recording it?

Good idea on the record. No lights, more of a throb. thump thump. Not tire sound. Thanks

Get someone to drive the car and then do the pencil test to isolate the frequency.

Procedure:

- Get a pad of paper, a pencil or felt tipped pen, and a watch with a second hand.

- Pick a road where you can drive at the same speed for several minutes.

- When the vibration starts tap the pencil on the pad in time with the vibration. Do this for exactly ten seconds.

- Repeat a couple of times so you can get an averaage

- Count the number of dots for each ten second run and multiply by six.

The number you calculate will be the vibrations per minute. Then compare that with known components such as the the RPM of the tires.

This method eliminates anything that doesn't revolve at the RPM that you calculated.

Automotive noises are very tricky because they appear to come from the place that has the best sound conduction qualities (e.g. a hole in the firewall) rather than the source. Sound reflection off the hard surfaces (e.g. glass) doesn't help matters any.

Just solved my strange noise / drone. Turns out this was already discussed but I had forgot about it.
For the rear hatch there are large thread type adjustable stoppers on car body left and right side.
I know I adjusted these a few months ago but they seem to have threaded back down to the lowest setting which has made the hatch somewhat loose again.
I raised the stoppers with a 1/4 - 1/2 turn and noise / rumble is gone.

Pressure Buffeting - Has anyone experienced it? - Page 2

Last edited: