Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange paint defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I returned from a 3 month deployment to South Korea. One of the first things I did after my return was wash my car and swap on the hard top.

I washed it, then wiped it down with an “in between waxing” product from Griot’s garage I use, then dried it. Everything looked fine in the paint. I am sure I would have noticed anything funny.

Later, I saw a cleaning cloth I had in my pocket had fallen in a puddle by the passenger sidefront wheel, and I picked it up and flicked it (like a whip) away from the car to get some of the dirt/leaves off it. Some of the liquid spattered back and me, and I suspect, on the car. This is all I can think might have caused the paint defects I noticed a few minutes later. Something has caused the paint to bubble up in a very focal area on that right front fender area. I have no idea how or what. I can’t rule out completely that these weren’t there when I was washing—maybe the light reflection wasn’t right for me to see them—but since I always look at the paint carefully when washing, I am doubtful. There are even a couple tiny ones of these raised areas that appear to be under the edge of the protective plastic wrap where it starts on the fender near the headlight.

Any ideas what might have caused this? The only stuff in the puddle chemically would have been rinse water from the wash and would include the non-acid stuff I used to clean the tires. That stuff is safe for factory painted wheels. I am sure it has splattered on the car before when I have sprayed it to wash the tires though, and I have never seen an issue, although perhaps the fenders have the plastic protectant down there.

Any thoughts on what could cause this or a fix short of having entire fender repainted (I am thinking this is only option) would be appreciated!

Have a great day.

IMG_2700.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg

My best guess is that a truck you were following or possibly something on the road ended up releasinsing a spray/liquid emission of some type onto the Roadster. Then after time it penetrated the paint protection/clearcoat, the paint, to then sit on the CF which then (as it now soaked the paint) dissolved & broke down the paint. If its just on your fender, be happy & fortunate. I always look at how things could of been worse. Inspect the cabin area. The fender can be pulled off, painted and cured in an oven to match the Roadster. The cabin is another beast.

Sorry to see the pics and hear about this misfortune.

One things for certain, these things are out of our hands. I curb-rashed my right rear tire and had a scrape on the front right nose of my car hence my current alignment blues. Yes, it hurt me inside emotionally and felt like I had dropped things in terms of taking care of my Roadster, but accidents happen. Its just the way things are. Its only when the carbon fiber is cracked where you should really be concerned. Any issue in just cosmetics / paint, its just that, paint. It can be redone. But we still have our beautiful car. And with the help from the forum we can make sure everyone is covered / taken care of in terms of knowledge and how to carry on and remedy the situation. Again we have a great bunch of people here in the Roadster family.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonnie and dhrivnak
True, it is only cosmetic—and I already managed to scrape it up once when I turned too tightly and apparently rubbed against a plastic pole in a parking garage—but you know how it is, even when a defect is minor, when you know about it, it seems HUGE! I doubt it is worth the cost of repainting. I am sure if I let a few days/weeks go by, it will bother me less. Well, maybe a few years!

Griot's Garage appears to have very high reviews from the searches I did. Only thing I found that matched your bubble defect was this below. It matches your theory about the paint possibly having a defect earlier on, and possibly the Griot's Garage application was the perfect storm to unlock it:

----

Waxing new paint? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Re: Waxing new paint?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek viewpost.gif
I have pondered this for years and still cannot find a concrete answer, which is better for newer paint a pure carnauba or a pure paint sealant ??? It has been suggested the high solvents, cleaners and polishes is what new paint should not be introduced too early until cured properly.
I've actually experienced this after application of a carnauba on a week old repaint. The thinner used if left uncured under the finish will find a way to seep out eventually creating bubbles. although the bubbles started appearing months after. But there was no way it was because of the prep work or during the actual painting. We couldn't tie it to anything but the wax applied.

Quote:
By definition a paint sealant seals and locks out the environment, what does this do to any outgassing ?? Traps it ??? Carnauba in its natural state protects the leaves of the tree and oxygen is taken in thru leaves, correct ?? Does that mean it breathes and can release gases while protecting ??
I think paint sealants will also lock in the gas the same way as the nuba did. But this is just based on my experience. I'm not a scientist nor a chemist by profession..lol
------

That implies that the defect was there in his paint job 4-7 years ago but a wash and wax brought it out now? I don't see how that's possible. I understand it's possible with a new paint job. But one this old? Very strange.

It's hard to tell from the pics - but when you closely is it the color coat that's bubbling up, or the clear coat?

Last edited:
Are you sure it is a paint bubble and not just something on the paint? If you can gently push down on it and it gives a little, it is the paint. If it is solid then something is on it. Looking at the sharp edge abound the base of the bubble, it looks like something is just on it. Try a bug and tar remover, it could just be sap from a tree.

Are you sure it is a paint bubble and not just something on the paint? If you can gently push down on it and it gives a little, it is the paint. If it is solid then something is on it. Looking at the sharp edge abound the base of the bubble, it looks like something is just on it. Try a bug and tar remover, it could just be sap from a tree.
I hope you're right, that would be fantastic news to ViperDoc! Just some clear goo on the surface.

Griot's Garage appears to have very high reviews from the searches I did. Only thing I found that matched your bubble defect was this below. It matches your theory about the paint possibly having a defect earlier on, and possibly the Griot's Garage application was the perfect storm to unlock it:

----

Waxing new paint? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Re: Waxing new paint?
Quote:
I have pondered this for years and still cannot find a concrete answer, which is better for newer paint a pure carnauba or a pure paint sealant ??? It has been suggested the high solvents, cleaners and polishes is what new paint should not be introduced too early until cured properly.
I've actually experienced this after application of a carnauba on a week old repaint. The thinner used if left uncured under the finish will find a way to seep out eventually creating bubbles. although the bubbles started appearing months after. But there was no way it was because of the prep work or during the actual painting. We couldn't tie it to anything but the wax applied.

Quote:
By definition a paint sealant seals and locks out the environment, what does this do to any outgassing ?? Traps it ??? Carnauba in its natural state protects the leaves of the tree and oxygen is taken in thru leaves, correct ?? Does that mean it breathes and can release gases while protecting ??
I think paint sealants will also lock in the gas the same way as the nuba did. But this is just based on my experience. I'm not a scientist nor a chemist by profession..lol
------

I use this particular Griot's product pretty regularly for a couple of years, and it has never caused a problem. What is throwing me is that between the washing, and the squeegee and the application of the Griots and the drying it off, I am pretty sure I would have seen the defects. That is why all I can think of is that something was in the water I flicked out of the cloth, but perhaps I did somehow miss it earlier during my cleaning—maybe the sun wasn't right or something.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't seem to give when you push down on it. I don't see a sharp edge at the base, but I will try your suggestion and hope it is something like that which dripped on the car. I will let you know!

Thanks for the idea.

@hallvardr

Unfortunately it's a common problem with Lotus :( It's caused by the panels absorbing water. My old Elise suffered a similar problem.

Respray will fix it, but you do risk the problem reoccurring :(

Best bet is to take it to a shop that has good experience in painting the type of fibreglass Lotus use. Particularly important is making sure the panels are super dry prior to painting. (While the Roadster does use carbon fibres, it is not hand laid. The panels are made the same way as Lotus, just with a carbon fibre rather than glass being mixed into the plastics before they are injection moulded)

My problems has gotten worse during winter storage.
I have an appointment with a body shop where they will sand this down, but instead of repaint I will do a full wrap of the car. A bit cheaper and I get "a new car". The shop has done this with another roadster before and they claim good result.

@hallvardr
This is in Norway as well, how old is your car? Tesla In Stavanger told me that they will not cover anything due to the age of the car (mine is a 2011 regular 2.5).
The other side of the car was fixed by Tesla a couple of years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: smac
My problems has gotten worse during winter storage.
I have an appointment with a body shop where they will sand this down, but instead of repaint I will do a full wrap of the car. A bit cheaper and I get "a new car". The shop has done this with another roadster before and they claim good result.

@hallvardr
This is in Norway as well, how old is your car? Tesla In Stavanger told me that they will not cover anything due to the age of the car (mine is a 2011 regular 2.5).
The other side of the car was fixed by Tesla a couple of years ago.

That is ridiculously bad service from Tesla once again. Even though I should not be surprised since every single thing I have had to do with Tesla is horrid service. If they have done one side of the car, then are aware of the problem and should off course cover the other side too. I have heard about several other people with this problem in Norway, and they are all waiting or have gotten it covered from Tesla.

That is ridiculously bad service from Tesla once again. Even though I should not be surprised since every single thing I have had to do with Tesla is horrid service.

Yeah I have stopped using Tesla for my roadster all together and canceled my order for a Model 3. I rather drive 8x2 hours to Elbilmek to fix issues, instead of dealing with Tesla. And I know others that have sold their X because they are fed up by Tesla's lack of service.
I have a friend who has had a Roadster for service at Tesla Stavanger for 1.5 years now. And they just keeps on promising and lying.

Anyway, I am looking forward to fixing this paint issue, as well as the peeling headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: hallvardr
Yea, I try avoid them also. The last time I have ordered parts I have ordered from Opel (Speedster) or from Lotus in England. I have tried to call and mail Tesla Rud now around 10 times to get info on the paint and try getting a new lock, but no luck getting a hold of them, and they have never gotten back to me...

Pop by Fevik the next time you drive by then! would be fun to see another Roadster