Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Phantom Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cigar Man

Intriguing Human
Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2020
McAllen, Texas
I have a MY with 25k miles on it and have owned it for a year and a half. It's been a great car.

Lately, I have noticed something strange on TeslaFi. Here is a graph taken yesterday, Sunday April 10th. Note that it has no loss of energy from midnight until it starts to charge at 3am. The charging ends at 5:55 am (as scheduled) at 85%. But from 6 am to noon, it experienced a 2% loss down to 83%. That's when I started driving for the day which ended at 51% at 5:05 pm, but goes UP from 51% to 55% between 5:10 to 5:45. It stays at 55% until charging begins Monday morning at 2:45 am.

Yes, TeslaFi shows 2.65 miles or 0.62 kWh of phantom drain. BTW - I turned off Sentry Mode completely just to remove that as a possibility, though it was set to be off while parked at home. Battery degradation has remained steady since early February.

I have never seen the car actually ADD miles and never had so much phantom drain. Ideas?

Battery Drain April 10 2022.jpg

Could just be battery monitor recalibration what it thinks the battery's state of charge is. It's not like pouring water into a measuring cup. The energy is measured going in and coming out as best as it can, but the actual state of the battery may have different values.

The car does this automatically when it's "asleep". I don't know all the details, but when the car is not doing anything that is for humans and all those systems are off it apparently examines the batteries and predetermines what the state of charge is.