Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange sales practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this week I decided to look into the viability of trading my four year old P100D for a new, fully loaded, Plaid, thinking that with used car values at an all time high, that this might be a good time to make a move. I made my inquiry and soon received a message asking for more details, which I answered, and I added that I wasn't too sure about how I would like the yoke steering, and that I wanted to test drive a new Model S to see if I liked it. Given that this involved the purchase of a $155,000 car, I didn't that this request was very unreasonable. The reply I received was "Due to the power of the vehicle, that is not an option". Mind you, my current P100D, which , again, I've driven for four years is no exactly as slouch, maybe 1/2 second slower than the Plaid. This to me was another example of how Tesla's little regard for its current customers, as well as its strange selling practices.
Might be time to look at a Lucid.

Earlier this week I decided to look into the viability of trading my four year old P100D for a new, fully loaded, Plaid, thinking that with used car values at an all time high, that this might be a good time to make a move. I made my inquiry and soon received a message asking for more details, which I answered, and I added that I wasn't too sure about how I would like the yoke steering, and that I wanted to test drive a new Model S to see if I liked it. Given that this involved the purchase of a $155,000 car, I didn't that this request was very unreasonable. The reply I received was "Due to the power of the vehicle, that is not an option". Mind you, my current P100D, which , again, I've driven for four years is no exactly as slouch, maybe 1/2 second slower than the Plaid. This to me was another example of how Tesla's little regard for its current customers, as well as its strange selling practices.
Agree that you should be able to test drive any car, prior to purchasing. But, Subaru does the same with their WRXs. You can't test drive them, it's buy it or move on.

LOL that is BS, one case doesn't mean all do it. You should buy what makes you happy :) Some people are happy with Nissan Leaf, some can't be happy even with $2m Bugatti. If they are not allowing you to test drive it, you should rent one on Turo and see if you like it. There is always a way if you truly want it.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
They have the ability to software limit acceleration and speed very easily. In fact, on the previous models, in test drive mode, you could select P100D, or just long range, and the computer would adjust accordingly.
It’s my understanding, with the great demand and backlog, they are not allocating cars for test drives.

Tesla is not making any vehicles with the yoke available for test drives. Why do you suppose that is?

Because it’s a horrible implementation. Yes, you can get used to it. But anyone on a test drive will be immediately turned off.

If only I had a dime for every time this type of post has been made in every single brand forum I’ve ever read.

I see this most on Porsche forums but Tesla is fast catching up.

Happy to take you guys for a test drive if in the LA area. Car is in the shop, but when I get it back. Most happy to offer test drives.
....This is how it used to work.
When I ordered my 1st Model S, Q1 2014 there were no cars to test drive. I had a client that had one, he threw me his key and I drove it for the remainder of the day. That night I placed my 1st order. Three Model S's, 2 ModelX's and 2 Model 3's later. Here we are.
I suspect every car being built is sold, so there's no surplus of cars to test drive.

Happy to take you guys for a test drive if in the LA area. Car is in the shop, but when I get it back. Most happy to offer test drives.
When I ordered my 1st Model S, Q1 2014 there were no cars to test drive. I had a client that had one, he threw me his key and I drove it for the remainder of the day. That night I placed my 1st order. Three Model S's, 2 ModelX's and 2 Model 3's later. Here we are.
I suspect every car being built is sold, so there's no surplus of cars to test drive.
That is so funny my buddy did the same with a GSXR that he just bought. Next day I was at the dealer buying one :) Then I did the same with my R1 and he bought one.

Reactions: Muzzman1
Don’t they know who you are?!

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Yes and no, they definitely have inventory vehicles waiting to be purchased.
They don’t want people test driving the car is why they’re not offering test drives. The actual cars are available.
My local SC had 3 plaids waiting to be purchased.

My local Tesla Center has no problem letting me drive the car if they actually had test vehicle. all the cars on the lot are customer cars waiting for delivery.
I reached out on the forum for local owner of a Plaid. Was able to get a nice test drive from a kind member.
When I bought my Lotus (dealership sold many high-end brands like Lamborghini, Aston, and Bentley) they vetted me before letting me drive cars. Good thing, because was sure I was buying an Aston Martine Vantage and walked out with a Lotus Evora.

My local Tesla Center has no problem letting me drive the car if they actually had test vehicle. all the cars on the lot are customer cars waiting for delivery.
This is total BS. I am sure that’s what they told you but they are lying.

Corporate is not making any vehicles available for test drives. And it’s not because they are all “sold and spoken for”. They have plenty of dealer, demo, and inventory vehicles available to allocate to at least ONE high volume location. Yet they aren’t doing it.

This is total BS. I am sure that’s what they told you but they are lying.

Corporate is not making any vehicles available for test drives. And it’s not because they are all “sold and spoken for”. They have plenty of dealer, demo, and inventory vehicles available to allocate to at least ONE high volume location. Yet they aren’t doing it.
Can you share the inventory data you've got? At any given time I see Plaid availability but I don't see those cars staying available for long. I may be looking at the wrong things/places. My assumption is that Plaids would need to sit in inventory for at least a month to make it worth the effort to start making demos available. s

Reactions: chirowolf
Not really sure this is so much a Tesla issue as it is an industry wide issue at the moment. I've been shopping for a minivan the last few months and nobody has one I can even sit in to get a feel for them. We just had to blindly order one with the understanding that we could refuse it if we didn't like it once it showed up - sound familiar?

Last edited:
Yes and no, they definitely have inventory vehicles waiting to be purchased.
They don’t want people test driving the car is why they’re not offering test drives. The actual cars are available.
My local SC had 3 plaids waiting to be purchased.
At the moment, there are 3 Plaids available in inventory. 3 days prior there were 0.
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.09.09 AM.png

Reactions: chirowolf
Very surprised there were no cars to test drive in 2014! In the LA area, especially.
My experience was quite different.
I began looking at Model S in 2014 myself, and I was easily able to take my first test drive from a mall store in the summer of 2014, here in Massachusetts. My son wanted to check it out, too, so we had another drive during the Christmas week at the same store. Both of those were short drives over what must have been standard, prescribed routes.
Not yet convinced, I rented one from Hertz at SFO when I was there on business one day in the Spring of 2015 (it was a 2012 P85).
Then the 70D came out, in April 2015, and I thought that was what I wanted, so I wanted to drive that car specifically. One of my concerns was the ride quality on the steel coils versus the air suspension in the rental car. By then (June 2015) there was a service center and store in my own town (Dedham MA), so I went there a couple of times to look over the cars and discuss questions with the sales people. Once they knew what I wanted to test, they set up a date for a ride one or two days later. Believe it or not, they arranged for a 70D to be brought up to MA from a store in NY (Mt. Kisco, maybe) because the local store lacked a demo unit that matched my preference. I was (and still am) amazed they did that, but the sales guy shrugged it off. We went for a long ride, wherever I wanted, for an hour or so, on a beautiful day. I tested the ride on all sorts of pavements and decided I could live with the coil suspension.
The other thing I was unsure about was whether to spend the money for the audio system upgrade. So I brought in a thumb drive and they let me listen to music in two cars, one with the standard system and one with the upgrade, so I could decide. (I decided against the upgrade, which I now somewhat regret.)
The 70D was certainly not their most expensive car and yet the sales people went out of their way to accommodate me. I was not pushy, they were just very generous with their time.
Those were the days....

Can you share the inventory data you've got? At any given time I see Plaid availability but I don't see those cars staying available for long. I may be looking at the wrong things/places. My assumption is that Plaids would need to sit in inventory for at least a month to make it worth the effort to start making demos available. s
I see several Plaids in inventory right this very moment.

Can you share why you think 30 days is the magical number when vehicles can be made available for test drives? That’s not how that works.