Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange sales practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. How does it work?
Jesus. Test vehicles, demo vehicles, loaner vehicles, fleet vehicles are all earmarked separately from what is available for direct sale to consumers.

Not making Model S/X available for test drives is a choice.

Why do you suppose you can test drive a 3/Y anywhere you like? Demand for those vehicles is significantly higher.

Jesus. Test vehicles, demo vehicles, loaner vehicles, fleet vehicles are all earmarked separately from what is available for direct sale to consumers.

Not making Model S/X available for test drives is a choice.

Why do you suppose you can test drive a 3/Y anywhere you like? Demand for those vehicles is significantly higher.
Yes, logistically that’s how it works and not at all what i was talking about.

Step back from an emotional reaction to test drive availability and think about it from a business perspective.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yes, logistically that’s how it works and not at all what i was talking about.

Step back from an emotional reaction to test drive availability and think about it from a business perspective.
What are you talking about then?

I clearly stated why they are doing it from a business perspective. Their yoke implementation is trash and they don’t want to turn off perspective buyers. It has nothing to do with availability as you claim.

What are you talking about then?

I clearly stated why they are doing it from a business perspective. Their yoke implementation is trash and they don’t want to turn off perspective buyers. It has nothing to do with availability as you claim.
I’m not claiming it has to do with availability. As I clearly stated, cars are available although not for long.

From a business perspective it makes no sense to do demos right now and it has nothing do with the yoke, lol. You are very much on record about your deep hate for the yoke. I respect that.

There are much simpler and basic business reasons to forgo demos. Operational cost, margin leverage, and low volume make for simple math.

If you’re fully invested in “it’s the yoke, stupid” then that’s fine. Let’s move on. I’m not gonna wrestle with that. You may not intend this but you come across as both disrespectful and rude which I won’t engage with further.

I’m not claiming it has to do with availability. As I clearly stated, cars are available although not for long.

From a business perspective it makes no sense to do demos right now and it has nothing do with the yoke, lol. You are very much on record about your deep hate for the yoke. I respect that.

There are much simpler and basic business reasons to forgo demos. Operational cost, margin leverage, and low volume make for simple math.

If you’re fully invested in “it’s the yoke, stupid” then that’s fine. Let’s move on. I’m not gonna wrestle with that. You may not intend this but you come across as both disrespectful and rude which I won’t engage with further.
It is obviously the yoke. And that is evidenced by the fact their most in-demand vehicles (3/Y) are available for test drives.

Operational costs and margin leverage are ridiculous assertions. If they felt test drives would increase sales rather than subtract from them, they would be made available.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd and mvotb
Considering Tesla's average vehicle inventory is 3 days, an all-time low may have a lot to do with a lack of demo cars. With demand continuing to increase, even with price increases, Tesla is selling everything they make. I, like many others, bought the 2022 MS without a test drive. Very happy I did.

As for the yoke, took me less than a week to get used to it. Now if Tesla offered to replace it with a round one for free, I wouldn't do it. A few other manufacturers are switching to a yoke-style steering wheel after Tesla's lead. Not sure what the hate is with the yoke, but I expect they haven't actually tried it or only tried it for a few hours. I like the improved safety, visibility, and egress. Even in a parking lot, it's easy to turn, but it is different. Perhaps some just don't like change, and nothing wrong with that - plenty of other cars to pick from that use the old round steering wheel.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Ok. How does it work?
I tend to agree that Tesla does not have any test Model S because they have high demand. Pretty much every car delivered is spoken for. would not be too keen on someone test driving my new car before its delivery.
This, of course, will change as demand starts to decrease.
I purchased a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe in 03 and was very difficult to get a test drive. That year the Infiniti was car of the year and pretty much all the cars being delivered in my area were spoken for. Lucky for me someone rejected their delivery for the G35 and I was able to drive that car, which I ended up buying.
I have mentioned before I will not buy a car I have not taken a test drive in. This policy has saved me from cars I was sure I wanted (Vantage V8, Ferrari 355, and Porsche Taycan) Broke this rule when I purchased my Honda S2000. Did a very short test drive of a nice used AP1 and happily overlooked some red flags for my style of driving. Never bonded with that car, but it gets almost universal love from the car community.

Most car enthusiast love their cars and are happy to share with other enthusiast. Ask around and you may be able to find a like minded Tesla owner.

P.S. No hate on the cars listed above, just not for me.

If you are pissed about Tesla not giving Test drive for the Model S, maybe you should not get a Tesla. Go spend your money else where.
Considering Tesla's average vehicle inventory is 3 days, an all-time low may have a lot to do with a lack of demo cars. With demand continuing to increase, even with price increases, Tesla is selling everything they make. I, like many others, bought the 2022 MS without a test drive. Very happy I did.

As for the yoke, took me less than a week to get used to it. Now if Tesla offered to replace it with a round one for free, I wouldn't do it. A few other manufacturers are switching to a yoke-style steering wheel after Tesla's lead. Not sure what the hate is with the yoke, but I expect they haven't actually tried it or only tried it for a few hours. I like the improved safety, visibility, and egress. Even in a parking lot, it's easy to turn, but it is different. Perhaps some just don't like change, and nothing wrong with that - plenty of other cars to pick from that use the old round steering wheel.
I feel the same way! Good post.

If you are pissed about Tesla not giving Test drive for the Model S, maybe you should not get a Tesla. Go spend your money else where.

I feel the same way! Good post.
That’s exactly what people are doing. No one outside of rabid fanbois are spending $150K on a vehicle they aren’t allowed to see in person first.

They sold 14K MS/X in Q1 2022 vs. 295K 3/Y

In Q3 2021 they sold 8K MS/X and weren’t even producing them at that point.

Last edited: