Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange/Scary noise coming from my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first time I'm here something like this from the car, and its a little scary. Almost thought the battery might explode or something.

It went on for about 1-2 minutes...bascially the time it took for me to finish using summon to get the car into the garage, getting it plugged in and the time it took to get the phone out and started recording...by the end of the video it had already ended...

Started off as a loud fan type noise so I ignored it and continued to use summon (it was fine before using summon), got it into my garage...noise got quite a bit louder....proceeded to plug in the car, but at this point it got almost frightening, and wanted to get it on video and see if I can see where the noise is coming from. By the time I started recording it had already started to quiet down, but I got what I could....

YouTube

...explode...

Tesla is very quiet except when its HVAC is at maximum then it can be so much louder than an idling gasoline car which you describe as "explode"

HVAC noise is at its loudest when it's supercharging or when it needs to cool down the battery during home charging.

That noise at home can be quite alarming because the confined space would magnify the noise even louder so you might think it's louder than during the open space supercharging.

Tesla is very quiet except when its HVAC is at maximum then it can be so much louder than an idling gasoline car which you describe as "explode"

HVAC noise is at its loudest when it's supercharging or when it needs to cool down the battery during home charging.

That noise at home can be quite alarming because the confined space would magnify the noise even louder so you might think it's louder than during the open space supercharging.
Oh I've heard it being loud when supercharging...but this was far different. And this was just after a small trip home and using summon to get it into my garage