Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Screen Behavior - Car Image flashes colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having some strange behavior of the screen in my Model Y. Throughout a drive (and even when car is not in motion) random parts of the car icon on the screen flash to a different color. Sometimes it will be the rear window, sometimes the door, sometimes the hood. The change lasts for a fraction of a second.

The nature of the color change varies with the base color. If car is blue the penels change to green. If I change the car icon to white it flashes to a gray.

Occasionally this will also be accompanied by a pair of horizontal bars (one above the car icon and one below) flashing to a checkerboard pattern.

This is all only on the left hand side of the screen. Nothing happens on the right hand side.

I have tried resetting the screen and it did not help. Has anyone ever seen this? Any thoughts? It seems like it is becoming more frequent which has me a bit worried.

Haven't had it, but if I had that on my computer or TV screen, I would assume that the screen is either defective (if newer) or going bad (if older). Just schedule a service call. See if you (or a passenger) can capture it on video so you can submit that with the service request. They will probably just replace the screen.

Upvote 0
Based on your description of the car icon flashing different colors sounds like a software issue to me but I could be wrong. Not sure what you mean by resetting the screen, but here is what I would try:
Re-boot the car pressing both scroll wheels until screen goes dark. If that doesn't work try powering the car off for at least 2 minutes. You could wait for the next update and see if that rectifies the problem. Otherwise, it's time for a service call. Good luck,

Upvote 0