Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Sentry Mode Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Just picked up my M3 LRAWD last week and for the first few days Sentry Mode was working great. I have a Samsung T5 500GB SSD partitioned into two drives: (1) 400GB labeled CAMS with a "TelsaCam" folder inside; and (2) ~100GB labeled MUSIC with all my music.

When I leave the vehicle for any length of time and return, I'll see the Sentry Mode notification on the screen (green notification displaying number of events recorded). But the strange thing is, I can't click on it -- nothing happens, the viewer doesn't open, nothing. And the "Dash Cam" icon isn't present. If I manually unplug and replug in the drive, the "Dash Cam Icon" reappears and I can click on the Sentry Mode notification which actually launches the viewer. Unfortunately, the 15, 20, etc. events don't show up and aren't saved on the drive. So while Sentry Mode appears to be working, and the car thinks it's working, it actually isn't working.

Another data-point -- the second partition for music continues to function without issue (meaning I don't have to unplug/replug the drive when I return to the car to play music from the drive).

This leads me to believe that it's entirely a software issue on the M3. I've reformatted the CAMS partition a few times, but still no dice. The only thing I haven't tried is repartitioning the drive to a single partition and testing. But doing this sort of defeats the purpose of having bought the T5, and again, everything was working great for the first 2 days of owning the car.

Anyone have any suggestions? Solutions? Similar experiences? TIA!

So I just tried that.. and hopefully it's recording events right now. I created a TeslaCam folder and a Music folder in the single partition ... the music isn't working though (i.e., USB is not showing up in the Music options) ... any ideas on why that's the case?

EDIT: Also, the "Format USB" option is still greyed out despite this drive being the only drive connected...?

Last edited:
if you have two partitions the car sees TWO different drives (i.e. the car thinks you have two seperate drives installed) so this may be why the format usb option is grayed out.

i used to have one ssd that was dual partitioned but i switched to a different setup and now am using two sd cards, so as long as i have the music drive detached, the format usb will pop up. even if i had the sentry sd card removed and the music drive was still in, the car would format that.