Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange sound after V9 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience this?

After one of the post V9 updates, I get a total random short 3-5 sec buzzing noise out of the speakers. It almost sounds like some type of warning, but the sound is a static buzzing sound. It happens 1-2 times every hour or so. I've had it happen at highway speeds, slow speed, backing out of my garage, parked and opening a door.

I have an issue similar to this but it is with streaming. it almost sounds like it loses signal or buffers for a second, then it's done. But the weird thing is it happens in areas where I have full bars of LTE in the middle of down town San Diego.

I have an issue similar to this but it is with streaming. it almost sounds like it loses signal or buffers for a second, then it's done. But the weird thing is it happens in areas where I have full bars of LTE in the middle of down town San Diego.

Signal strength does not mean the network can more data to your car. If there were a bunch of other people using the network at the same time (watching cat videos no doubt),the available data bandwidth may not be there to get your bits to your car in a timely fashion.

Signal strength does not mean the network can more data to your car. If there were a bunch of other people using the network at the same time (watching cat videos no doubt),the available data bandwidth may not be there to get your bits to your car in a timely fashion.
Actually it does. With lower SNR more packets are received with errors and must be resent and/or transmission speed is lowered to prevent dropped packets. In either case the effective bandwidth goes down.

Now the rest of the statement is true. Even if you have 5 bars the bandwidth you get will be reduced if the network is choked with other traffic.

As to the buzzing in FM mode: That's what an FM radio sounds like when squelch is opened and no signal is present. A guess here is that the new firmware allows the radio to connect to audio system before it has properly tuned it to a channel. Just a guess.

Actually it does. With lower SNR more packets are received with errors and must be resent and/or transmission speed is lowered to prevent dropped packets. In either case the effective bandwidth goes down.

Now the rest of the statement is true. Even if you have 5 bars the bandwidth you get will be reduced if the network is choked with other traffic.

As to the buzzing in FM mode: That's what an FM radio sounds like when squelch is opened and no signal is present. A guess here is that the new firmware allows the radio to connect to audio system before it has properly tuned it to a channel. Just a guess.

A good SNR is a factor, but if the network is saturated, packet collision rates go up, so throughput goes down due to re-transmission and even a huge SNR is not going to help that. More towers and backhaul to carry the load are needed, and AT&Ts network is not know for having an overabundance of either. Maybe 5G will help because of the speed.