Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Spare Part Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered a new wiring for dashboard and console for my 2017/2018 model X
(defect MCU scorched the cable).

Tesla service center accidently ordered an older version (1032436-90-F).
Price tag was 390 Euro (~420 USD) net, seemed quite resonable price level to me.

Now this turned out to be the wrong one, it is for Model X build until October 2016, mine is 08/2017.
It would not fit to my autopilot 2.0 module and also audio interface was wrong (I have only base version,
-90-F is for premium audio).

Next the Tesla clerk picked the new one from the parts catalog (1082436-03-B) and the net price
has raised to 1,140 Euro (~1,230 USD)?!

This is about 3x the former price, though I estimate that only 5-6 plugs have changed between both versions.
-I have compared the wrong ordered wiring with my defect one.

Does anyone of you have an explanation for that or is the service center playing tricks on me?
Did you experience something similar?
Sure newer parts most times have higher prices, but without big differences in function,
they should not have more than 20-30% surcharge over the years.

On the other hand I ordered some plastic hoses (e.g. 1053878-00-B) and they were unusually cheap,
just 6-8 Euro (7-9 USD) per piece.
Mercedes or others would have taken 30-40 Euro/USD for such things and no one would complain.

What do you think, where does that come from?
Funny people in costprice calculation, inexperienced spare parts people or wild surcharges for whatever?

Thanks for any useful comment.

Not uncommon. Numerous potential reasons.

I had a sun-visor clip break in my old Audi and it was $30 for the plastic piece. Didn't even come with screw. That was another $10. This was an upgraded replacement piece for the one that broke due to design fault. They wouldn't replace for free either due to design fault as it was considered a wear item. The original piece with the design fault originally sold for $15 but was no longer available. I found one of the original ones in Europe and including shipping got it for $6. I "adjusted it" myself when I got it to avoid the design defect from happening again.

I've also ordered parts from VW that were the same as the Audi part. But was much cheaper.