Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Supercharger behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I drove up the east coast to Washington, DC and back. I experienced the same thing at two different 150kW superchargers. Both were nearly full. I wouldn't pull more than 30kW with my battery below 20% but the weird behavior was that it would bounce from 0kW up to 30kW. Up and down, up and down.

Others were also experiencing it. Essentially caused those supercharger stations to backup because it was going to be 2 hours of charging just so I could get to the next supercharger. The only thing that saved me was that I own the Chademo adapter so I hopped over to an electrify america station so I could get closer to 50kW. 20 minutes later, I had enough charge to get to another supercharger station.

But I would have been pissed if I had to wait 2 hours to get charged. Anyone know why this type of thing happens? Power grid not able to supply enough power if all the chargers are pulling?

Anyone know why this type of thing happens? Power grid not able to supply enough power if all the chargers are pulling?
It can happen at single stalls due to a bad charging module group in the supercharger cabinet or it can be an issue for the entire site if the electrical draw induces power harmonics/oscillations in the local distribution grid.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH