TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange tesla comments in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by paulp, Dec 21, 2015.

1. paulp

paulp Member

Following two somewhat strange questions about my Tesla today and two last week, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where everyone can log odd questions / statements that occur.
    Here is my contribution;
    - Came back to my car from the supermarket to find a guy with his head under my model S. His reason; "I'm fascinated by the underside of a tesla"
    - "Can you charge it whilst driving" - although maybe this is a carryover from hybrid thinking
    - "Is it as good as it sounds". I suggested it was hard to rate silence on a good to bad scale.
    and from last Saturday;
    "are you sure there is no engine with pistons and oil?"

2. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

"It's such a good looking car" " and it has no petrol engine?" As if the two need to be linked!
    Also the amount of people who think a dual motor Tesla is a hybrid, not just anyone, people who should know better, those who influence the publics thinking, those who make decisions on the publics behalf.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would not be happy with somebody under my car unless they were wearing a Tesla shirt!

The only questions I get is "how far can it go?". When I tell them, they are invariably shocked.

4. alpal

alpal Member

The question I love most is, "What happens when you run out of charge?" Derrrr!

5. paulp

paulp Member

For those living in Adelaide, you can almost guarantee the first question will be "will it get to Melbourne"

6. Keiron

Keiron Member

Yep and my favourite stupidity (we have had many), so far, from sunny Geelong is and I quote" Two friends examining car as we come back from lunch ". I am asked what type of car is it - I reply " A Tesla " mate no 2 coughs with "yeah see I told you it was the new ford.........." .We were gobsmacked!

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

The strangest comment I've got was 'gee, it looks nice, I was expecting a golf cart'.

8. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

I had a couple of bricklayers at my house yesterday and they were saying whats in that a V12. I was like no its electric. What do you mean, you dont use petrol, no... It's electric. It has two engines, powered by batteries. No-way... Is the car on, yes... it is on. WOW, so quiet. Yes, no petrol engine, its electric. WOWWWWWW :)

9. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

This is common for me, "So what happens when you run out of gas?", you just dont do that, there are lots of charging places, no worries.

10. ColinA

ColinA Member

This may be out of step with this thread (which I'm enjoying!), but whenever I tell people we have ordered a Tesla I have been overwhelmed with how positive the response has been, the high regard in which Tesla is held, how well known Elon Musk is, how often the words "visionary" and "future thinking" come up, and... more than a tad of bit of jealousy!

Th only odd ball one I had was someone asked "will it fit passengers?" ...clearly a throw back to the old "electric car = golf cart" thinking :)

11. Mark E

Mark E Member

Many people seem to think that an 8 year unlimited km warranty on the drivetrain means that you have to replace the batteries every 8 years...
    Others are perplexed when I explain that with my normal driving of 60-100km in a day that I could easily charge the car up at home from a 10A socket since its parked at home for 12 or so hours each day.
    Also "Free supercharging won't stay that way for long" and "so Tesla doesn't charge for the data connection?"

12. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Not sure I have had wierd comments but the questions have changed over a year of ownership.
    In the first week I got the following question from a car guy "OK, I give up, what sort of car is that". I replied that it's a Tesla and that lead to what sort of 'engine', no engine its electric, OMG that's an electric car! Followed by how far how fast what happens when it runs flat etc. More recently the conversation starts with "Is that really a Tesla" before leading off into the no engine, how far how fast conversation. Last weekend a mature lady in a white Corolla came up just to say what a beautiful car it was. This afternoon we had to cross through the city in Market street and the footpaths were packed with people, many gawking and a number of photos taken. It seems to me the car is more famous now than when I first got it.

13. Rad18

Rad18 Member

I think you got photos taken because of the stunning brown colour!

My Midnight Silver tends to fly under the radar and not noticed (which is OK by me).

14. raynewman

raynewman Member

and White in Queensland; so is every other car :tongue:

15. Jude

Jude Member

What does it sound like when you rev it?

16. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

That's by far the best I've heard :biggrin:

Explaining to a friend that it has 2 motors, "Which one is the petrol one?"

17. Redninja

Redninja Member

Who owns Tesla? BMW, Aston Martin, Ford? No, really, which car company owns it?
    Where do you get it serviced? What, no oil change? But what about when it breaks down?

18. ColinA

ColinA Member

LOL.. that one wins the prize!

19. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

It sounds just like your car, when you rev it with the engine off. Except for the squealing tires if you were in drive. Or reverse. :)

20. Aussie Yank

Aussie Yank Member

#20 Aussie Yank, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Two guys stop by the tesla and try to figure it out

after a long discussion they decided the D MEANT IT WAS A DIESEL !!