Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange test drive requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model S since early December, and being in CT they are still exceedingly rare. Thus, I get regular comments and even some random strangers asking for a test drive (happened twice, once at my nephew's birthday party by another parent).

Today, however, is the most random. Apparently the junior whatever (seriously don't know his job) that works for my accountant felt it would be ok to ask for a test drive while also getting some other details, like the VIN, for paperwork.

I thought it was both hilarious and random. I said yes, which probably shocked him more than his question shocked me.

Anyone else get random test drive requests?

I've had my Model S since early December, and being in CT they are still exceedingly rare. Thus, I get regular comments and even some random strangers asking for a test drive (happened twice, once at my nephew's birthday party by another parent).

Today, however, is the most random. Apparently the junior whatever (seriously don't know his job) that works for my accountant felt it would be ok to ask for a test drive while also getting some other details, like the VIN, for paperwork.

I thought it was both hilarious and random. I said yes, which probably shocked him more than his question shocked me.

Anyone else get random test drive requests?

I work at a tech company and I am "that guy" that have hit up 2 or 3 guys at work for a test drive. Usually if someone is seeking you out for the Tesla test drive it means you guys will have an equal bond and interest in the car. I would say as long as they work with you, give them a test drive so they will go out and buy one. If it is a new stranger.... bring a friend for protection. :)

Good point - I would say "give demo ride" if I'm driving and "allow to test drive" if they're driving. I would not allow the latter except to friends or close acquaintances. Otherwise who knows what kind of driver they area and I'm in the passenger seat!

Not a random request, but an interesting test drive. My daughter is an operating engineer and her husband maintains construction equipment, so she knows folks in the maintenance business. She ask me to please offer Tom (not real name) a drive. Tom is the vehicle maintenance chief at a construction firm, and I know him to be a competent straight shooter.

We started out on rural highways, and Tom was chatting about his work - getting the best RPMs, power bands, and such, and interjecting a few comments on the car. When we got to a freeway on ramp that was quite clear, I suggested he floor it. Never have I seen such a big grin as we zoomed through 100 in the non-perf S. There was no more talk about Diesels, power bands, and such - just about the car.

Last week I went to get my haircut. My barber, seeing me pull up in my S, proceeds to ask me all about it. I'm more than happy to give him all the info. As we near the end of my cut, he asks if I would mind giving him a quick ride. We got in and he was blown away by the "iPad" in the center. Took him on the Freeway and floored it. His only response was "Oh my god" over and over again. When we got back, he shook my hand and actually gave me a hug. I think I may have sold a Tesla ;)

I must be more brave or foolish than most here. I have allowed many family, friends, associates to drive my car. I even let my contractor for my house drive it. Just this last weekend, an older gentleman approached me at Portland State's electric avenue to talk about the car. He had a friend of a friend recently buy one but never sat in one. I also found out that he was converting one of his ICE cars to EV. I couldn't let a fellow EV enthusiast not know the joy of driving a Tesla, so I let him take a spin around downtown. He had the time of his life and was honking and waving to his waiting wife like a teenage boy who just got his drivers license. That was some good Tesla time and hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the rear.

Last week I went to get my haircut. My barber, seeing me pull up in my S, proceeds to ask me all about it. I'm more than happy to give him all the info. As we near the end of my cut, he asks if I would mind giving him a quick ride. We got in and he was blown away by the "iPad" in the center. Took him on the Freeway and floored it. His only response was "Oh my god" over and over again. When we got back, he shook my hand and actually gave me a hug. I think I may have sold a Tesla ;)

Awesome, and the best part was probably what you didn't see -- he most likely told every person that sat in the barber chair following you about the baddest car on the planet, the Tesla Model S!! :cool:

I must be more brave or foolish than most here. I have allowed many family, friends, associates to drive my car. I even let my contractor for my house drive it. Just this last weekend, an older gentleman approached me at Portland State's electric avenue to talk about the car. He had a friend of a friend recently buy one but never sat in one. I also found out that he was converting one of his ICE cars to EV. I couldn't let a fellow EV enthusiast not know the joy of driving a Tesla, so I let him take a spin around downtown. He had the time of his life and was honking and waving to his waiting wife like a teenage boy who just got his drivers license. That was some good Tesla time and hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the rear.
I'm with you and I'll let anyone drive the car that wants to. I really encourage it so people can really feel what the driving experience is like for themselves. I couldn't count how many friends, family, coworkers, and others have taken the wheel. I even dropped it off at my Audi dealer the first week I got it and let them play with it for the day.

I'm with you and I'll let anyone drive the car that wants to. I really encourage it so people can really feel what the driving experience is like for themselves. I couldn't count how many friends, family, coworkers, and others have taken the wheel. I even dropped it off at my Audi dealer the first week I got it and let them play with it for the day.

Ditto, I let everyone drive it, in fact I insist on it when showing the car to someone who takes any interest. I've only regretted it once, when a new acquaintance took a sharp corner and managed to get it drifting for a moment. Otherwise, everyone has been timid to a fault - in fact I have recently added a standard line to my test drive routine: When we are through discussing the touchscreen and are ready to go, I tell them "I realize this isn't yours, but this is a performance car that's meant to be driven as such... so don't drive it like a (w)ussy." That usually does the trick. :biggrin: