Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange throttle failure -- possible traction control defect

rpavlicek

***** Neophyte
Feb 7, 2013
Santa Clara, CA
I received my S60 in January, 2013. I had a few problems throughout the years (drive unit replaced), but overall its been fine.

The last couple months I had some strange issue when trying to accelerate from a stop (and sometimes accelerate when the car is decelerating during regeneration). It usually happens when I stomp the pedal hard. The car will start to move but then suddenly the throttle dies and it feels like the brakes are engaging. The P/N/D symbols on the dashboard go from white to red. It feels similar to when traction control kicks in when on wet pavement -- a shaking and stuttering brake vibration.

I tried disabling traction control but this problem would still occur even with the setting off. Also, this doesn't happen all the time. I can't figure out (yet) how to reproduce the issue all the time.

I will bring this into Tesla, but for intermittent problems, its best if I can reproduce the issue reliably. If anyone has insight into this issue or cause, please let me know.

Thanks!

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
I received my S60 in January, 2013. I had a few problems throughout the years (drive unit replaced), but overall its been fine.

The last couple months I had some strange issue when trying to accelerate from a stop (and sometimes accelerate when the car is decelerating during regeneration). It usually happens when I stomp the pedal hard. The car will start to move but then suddenly the throttle dies and it feels like the brakes are engaging. The P/N/D symbols on the dashboard go from white to red. It feels similar to when traction control kicks in when on wet pavement -- a shaking and stuttering brake vibration.

I tried disabling traction control but this problem would still occur even with the setting off. Also, this doesn't happen all the time. I can't figure out (yet) how to reproduce the issue all the time.

I will bring this into Tesla, but for intermittent problems, its best if I can reproduce the issue reliably. If anyone has insight into this issue or cause, please let me know.

Thanks!

Even with traction control, the PRND should not change color.
Possibilities:
Accelerator pedal sensor: try a rapid acceleration that is not full travel on the pedal.
Contactors / main HV path

You could call the service number and have them check for logged diagnostic codes/ faults.

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
The instant this happens, call 8777983572, they can log into your car and see error codes. The sw guys are great.
Dont wait, the codes get over written.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC