Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange throttle failure -- possible traction control defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my S60 in January, 2013. I had a few problems throughout the years (drive unit replaced), but overall its been fine.

The last couple months I had some strange issue when trying to accelerate from a stop (and sometimes accelerate when the car is decelerating during regeneration). It usually happens when I stomp the pedal hard. The car will start to move but then suddenly the throttle dies and it feels like the brakes are engaging. The P/N/D symbols on the dashboard go from white to red. It feels similar to when traction control kicks in when on wet pavement -- a shaking and stuttering brake vibration.

I tried disabling traction control but this problem would still occur even with the setting off. Also, this doesn't happen all the time. I can't figure out (yet) how to reproduce the issue all the time.

I will bring this into Tesla, but for intermittent problems, its best if I can reproduce the issue reliably. If anyone has insight into this issue or cause, please let me know.

Thanks!

I received my S60 in January, 2013. I had a few problems throughout the years (drive unit replaced), but overall its been fine.

The last couple months I had some strange issue when trying to accelerate from a stop (and sometimes accelerate when the car is decelerating during regeneration). It usually happens when I stomp the pedal hard. The car will start to move but then suddenly the throttle dies and it feels like the brakes are engaging. The P/N/D symbols on the dashboard go from white to red. It feels similar to when traction control kicks in when on wet pavement -- a shaking and stuttering brake vibration.

I tried disabling traction control but this problem would still occur even with the setting off. Also, this doesn't happen all the time. I can't figure out (yet) how to reproduce the issue all the time.

I will bring this into Tesla, but for intermittent problems, its best if I can reproduce the issue reliably. If anyone has insight into this issue or cause, please let me know.

Thanks!

Even with traction control, the PRND should not change color.
Possibilities:
Accelerator pedal sensor: try a rapid acceleration that is not full travel on the pedal.
Contactors / main HV path

You could call the service number and have them check for logged diagnostic codes/ faults.