Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange thump from front right wheel when flooring it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a P3D+ brand new with approx. 300 miles

Recently this morning I was at a big right turn intersection and noticed all 4 lanes were free to my right. So I decided to try a test of the AWD traction under throttle :) I pull a right turn and progressively floor it as I unwind onto the straight. The grip is good as I get to almost full throttle and then all of a sudden I hear a single big thunk/thump sound come from the front right of the car.

I'm pretty sure there was no debris on the road that caused it. Visual inspection shows no damage of any sort either and otherwise the car feels normal. It sounded almost like an ABS braking kind of thump (but I was not braking and was most of the way into the throttle). Would the traction control automatically apply any braking to the front right wheel at the limit that could cause this?

Most likely it was traction control that kicked in. If you think about it, when you apply maximum torque to all wheels during a right turn, the right front wheel will most likely have the least amount of traction of the four and the system will try to compensate. Newton's First Law.