TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange ticking sound coming from the car

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by franknesss, Oct 2, 2014.

1. franknesss

franknesss Member

After two days of ownership, something small finally came up. A small ticking sound, similar to that of a watch, develops when I reach speeds 25MPH and up. This sound have been confirmed by a technician, however, he has never heard or experienced this problem. The car is scheduled to go in on Oct 22nd to address this ticking issue.

The sound is originating from behind the steering column, almost like it is behind the speedometer display. The sound *ticks* right when I hit 25mph and repeats rhythmically every 6-7sec. We already ruled out the wheels and ac causing the sounds.

Anyone have this experience before?

2. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Turn off the self-destruct setting.

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Speed activated time bomb.

4. iadbound

iadbound Member

Strikes me as something in the front suspension/wheels given the consistency. Does the ticking speed up or slow as you accelerate/decelerate?

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Did you try rebooting to see if it goes away? I can't think of anything related to the wheels or drivetrain that would only tick once every six or seven seconds.

6. iadbound

iadbound Member

Fair point.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

This was fixed in the 6.1 release.

8. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Had something to do with cycling of the automatic brake hardware, mine had it (dec 2014 delivery), and now gone with the latest software update.