Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Strange Wall Connector issue

I’ve had my Model Y about a month now and having a strange issue with the Wall Connector, that I had installed by a Tesla recommended electrician.

When my car is charging, our dishwasher inside the house restarts (powers on/off) every 8-10 minutes. The only reason we know this is because the dishwasher makes a chiming sound whenever its restarted or the door is opened, otherwise we may have never known. The charging never seems to be disrupted and we haven’t noticed any other electrical issues in the house. We have had the electrician that installed the Wall Connector back out to check everything and he can’t find any issues. Its a new house (about 15 months old), so we had the builder’s electrician come out and check everything. Both have said that they checked all the connections and have attempted to diagnose it, but haven’t been able to find anything.

I’ve tried adjusting the charge setting in the car from 48A down to 40A to see if that made any difference, but that had no Impact.

We have the electrician coming back out tomorrow to try and figure out what’s going on, but wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas what to try or to have the electrician check?

thanks in advance!

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
So I assume what you mean is when the dishwasher is running and you charge you car the dishwasher restarts by itself. A possible issue is the voltage at the dishwasher is not what it should be. Have your electrician check the voltage with dishwasher and car charger off, then with car charger on and dishwasher off. Then check it again when the dishwasher is running and the Wall Charger is off, then once more with both running. The voltage should be the same each time.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
The voltage should be the same each time.
Not really. Its entirely reasonable to have the voltage arriving at the main panel drop by a few volts potentially(see what I did there?) when an extra 48 amps of load comes online.

I agree that if the voltage is marginally low and the wall charger drags it lower that the dishwasher might have issues with it.

Reactions: ATPMSD

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
How old is the dishwasher? Older home appliances can start to malfunction due to variations in the line voltage. In the past few months I had to replace a wired sensor in my home alarm system that became overly sensitive, after 15 years, to power supply voltage variations and would trip the home alarm. Just this month I had a service technician replace the controller board in my 9 year old standby power generator. The generator was becoming increasingly flaky. The controller board has started to lose the date and time settings, the weekly exercise schedule too.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
How old is the dishwasher? Older home appliances can start to malfunction due to variations in the line voltage. In the past few months I had to replace a wired sensor in my home alarm system that became overly sensitive, after 15 years, to power supply voltage variations and would trip the home alarm. Just this month I had a service technician replace the controller board in my 9 year old standby power generator. The generator was becoming increasingly flaky. The controller board has started to lose the date and time settings, the weekly exercise schedule too.
Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, perhaps?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC