Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange whirring noise when car is off [Update: fan noise while parked is not unusual]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

This just started yesterday. Coming from the frunk area driver side. I rebooted the car and it’s still there. HVAC off, radio muted. Anyone else seen (heard) this. Next I’ll try shutting off the car. Strange.

A Tesla is never truly off. If memory serves, there was a software release some months back that increased the parked fan noises. It’s trying to dry out the AC condensation so it doesn’t get stinky.

Last February we hosted a crowd at our house, and my wife and I slept on a camp bed in the garage, giving our room to others. Our roommate was our Model 3. It made a variety of clicks, thunks and whirs from time to time all night. Even a sleeping Tesla wakes up and yawns and stretches.

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC and hcdavis3
Thanks Needs. How long does it last? I last checked a half hour ago, and will check now.

Just checked. Car idling for an hour and 8 minutes, whirring noise still there. I’ll check again when it goes to sleep.

Runs until the car "goes to sleep". The problem is, however, that while at home, my car doesn't sleep that often as the WiFi keeps it awake. When at work it sleeps fine, but at home, not so much I've given up worrying about it because the vampire drain is pretty slight or the car is plugged in.

Runs until the car "goes to sleep". The problem is, however, that while at home, my car doesn't sleep that often as the WiFi keeps it awake. When at work it sleeps fine, but at home, not so much I've given up worrying about it because the vampire drain is pretty slight or the car is plugged in.

The WiFi doesn't matter for sleeping. It probably has to do with the fact it's likely plugged in at home.

Either way, the sound is some sort of coolant or inverter pump if it's from the rear of the car.

Front of the car is where the AC condenser fan noises come from.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
It comes from here, as far as I can tell, and is present when the AC & fan are off. It's probably a pump circulating coolant.

IMG_6222.jpg

• Informative
Is it just the Wi-Fi connection that’s causing it to stay awake or something?

Possibly. People report that turning off data sharing and shutting off the WiFi prior to exiting the car (it turns back on if you open the door again) helps vampire drain considerably, so that would be somewhat consistent.

My theory (it's completely unsubstantiated) is that this is the pump providing coolant to the MCU, so that would make sense.

• Informative