Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange window fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing the strangest thing with my driver's side window ever since it's been below freezing in my area. Most often during hard acceleration, I'll notice the driver's side window fogging. But only that window. The window will be fine as I'm driving normally, and then instantly fog up in the lower-right corner (by the mirror) as soon as I stomp on the throttle. After a few minutes it defrosts on its own. At first I thought it was somehow cutting off the heater when I called for maximum acceleration, but the last couple of days I've noticed it happen when I pull into a parking lot and start backing into a spot. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? During hard acceleration makes some sense to me, but while parking doesn't. Maybe it cuts the heater to save power when it thinks I'm about to park and exit the vehicle?

Air temp when I notice this has been about 25F, cabin temp set to 73F. I have the airflow directed to either side of the steering wheel and then downwards as I don't like warm air blowing right in my face.

My thought is that the window seal in the area isnt very tight and might be letting cold/moist air into the cabin. Have you installed an update recently? some are saying that the latest "winter update" is pulling the window down slightly from the upper seal, preventing freezing but also allowing some air into the cabin.

My thought is that the window seal in the area isnt very tight and might be letting cold/moist air into the cabin. Have you installed an update recently? some are saying that the latest "winter update" is pulling the window down slightly from the upper seal, preventing freezing but also allowing some air into the cabin.

Good point. I may have to ask the service center about that. I can't discern any gaps in the seal with my eyes. I don't have the 44.2 update that causes that behavior yet. I'm on 42.3.

I have exactly the same problem. I drive for about 3 minutes to the expressway entrance ramp, then immediately my drivers side window fogs and freezes. This has only happened since the weather got cold. If anyone has solved this problem could you explain your HVAC settings? I can't get anything to work and it sucks not being able to see out my driver side window.

I've been noticing the strangest thing with my driver's side window ever since it's been below freezing in my area. Most often during hard acceleration, I'll notice the driver's side window fogging. But only that window. The window will be fine as I'm driving normally, and then instantly fog up in the lower-right corner (by the mirror) as soon as I stomp on the throttle. After a few minutes it defrosts on its own. At first I thought it was somehow cutting off the heater when I called for maximum acceleration, but the last couple of days I've noticed it happen when I pull into a parking lot and start backing into a spot. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? During hard acceleration makes some sense to me, but while parking doesn't. Maybe it cuts the heater to save power when it thinks I'm about to park and exit the vehicle?

Air temp when I notice this has been about 25F, cabin temp set to 73F. I have the airflow directed to either side of the steering wheel and then downwards as I don't like warm air blowing right in my face.

It's your body temp. The acceleration excites you, and you fog up the windows!!!

:cool::cool::cool:

• Funny
Reactions: ConcordeSST
I have exactly the same problem. I drive for about 3 minutes to the expressway entrance ramp, then immediately my drivers side window fogs and freezes. This has only happened since the weather got cold. If anyone has solved this problem could you explain your HVAC settings? I can't get anything to work and it sucks not being able to see out my driver side window.

I've since directed my vents to point up and split the airflow to the extreme left and right. On the left it's pointing towards the driver's side mirror. That has seemed to help and I don't notice this as much. I really do think the car is cutting the HVAC temporarily during strong acceleration as it always seems colder in the car if I drive in a more spirited manner.

I've since directed my vents to point up and split the airflow to the extreme left and right. On the left it's pointing towards the driver's side mirror. That has seemed to help and I don't notice this as much. I really do think the car is cutting the HVAC temporarily during strong acceleration as it always seems colder in the car if I drive in a more spirited manner.

It's cold enough around here to replicate your issue. I'll have to drive outside my normal commute times, since I rarely get to accelerate hard in heavy traffic.