Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranger pulls public charge cable out "Teslas Don't need to charge"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually she luckily avoided a problem disconnecting the Tesla. I have a J1722 Charger at home (left over my Leaf and BMW i3). If you disconnect a J1722 charger from the Tesla you have to disconnect both the Tesla adaptor and the J1722 plug simultaneously. If you don't the Tesla system sends a fault code and the charger port locks and turns red (ask me how I know). The result is that you have to open the trunk and release the adaptor using the emergency disconnect cord attached to the inside of the charging port. If you don't disconnect it with the emergency release it will stay locked and you'll be unable to charge the car. I'm not sure how she disconnected it without causing the problem, but it was likely just the way she did it that didn't trigger the autolock and red light for an electrical fault. I've learned the hard way - if you're using the J1722 adaptor, click the disconnect icon on your phone, or better yet, on the charging screen. Wait for the light to turn white in the charge port, then hold onto the adaptor and remove it still connected to the J1722 plug in one smooth motion. That will prevent any error codes.

This has not been my experience at all. My 2013 S is able to have my work’s J1772 plug taken off my adapter while the adapter stayed in the car with no fault codes or red ring. I can then be replugged I with my adapter still there (though I may have to tell the Tesla to “start charging” if enough time passed) or remove my J-adapter at my leisure. Did something change in newer cars?

This has not been my experience at all. My 2013 S is able to have my work’s J1772 plug taken off my adapter while the adapter stayed in the car with no fault codes or red ring. I can then be replugged I with my adapter still there (though I may have to tell the Tesla to “start charging” if enough time passed) or remove my J-adapter at my leisure. Did something change in newer cars?
That's my experience as well, except that if you don't take them off together, it's very hard to get the adaptor out, so taking them out both at once and then removing the adaptor is the best approach. I think I've used the adaptor about three times in six years.

Reactions: Fiddler
That's my experience as well, except that if you don't take them off together, it's very hard to get the adaptor out, so taking them out both at once and then removing the adaptor is the best approach. I think I've used the adaptor about three times in six years.
I use the adapter frequently since my home EVSE is a J1772. The advice to pull the plug and adapter out together is sound.

I had another Tesla owner try to unplug my Model X at the Savannah, Ga SC because he felt I had been there too long. I was at a the SC for 45 minutes and I came in with under 10%.
That is a bit rich. Although I have seen some Darwin award types at the Savannah SC charging to 100% when we were part of line of about 5 waiting to charge up from Santee.

Actually she luckily avoided a problem disconnecting the Tesla. I have a J1722 Charger at home (left over my Leaf and BMW i3). If you disconnect a J1722 charger from the Tesla you have to disconnect both the Tesla adaptor and the J1722 plug simultaneously. If you don't the Tesla system sends a fault code and the charger port locks and turns red (ask me how I know). The result is that you have to open the trunk and release the adaptor using the emergency disconnect cord attached to the inside of the charging port. If you don't disconnect it with the emergency release it will stay locked and you'll be unable to charge the car. I'm not sure how she disconnected it without causing the problem, but it was likely just the way she did it that didn't trigger the autolock and red light for an electrical fault. I've learned the hard way - if you're using the J1722 adaptor, click the disconnect icon on your phone, or better yet, on the charging screen. Wait for the light to turn white in the charge port, then hold onto the adaptor and remove it still connected to the J1722 plug in one smooth motion. That will prevent any error codes.

I believe I know why this is happening. Last week, at my work, using the J1772 adapter, I had the charge port go red.

However, what happened (this was a new Chargepoint station): I did not wait long enough after pressing the J-1772 latch release down, or did not press it down fully. This results in the charging cable not de-energizing before the disconnect - so it's like unplugging a vacuum or other inductive load while running. Since it was dark, I was able to see a 3-4 inch long electrical arc from the J-1772 to the Tesla charge port (due to inductance of course), as I pulled the J-1772 connector out of my Tesla. Whereupon the charge port went red, and I had to use the manual release for the adapter. And then fiddled around a bit to reset the error.

So, I believe the remedy is to push down that release fully and firmly, and give a moment before removing the J-1772 plug. This should add 330 ohms in the Proximity Pilot connection and let the Tesla know to de-energize.

I haven't tried this many times yet so not sure whether it will be a "solution". The advantage of doing this is that you don't have to get your phone out - when you remove the J-1772, it unlocks the charge port adapter as well. I think with the simultaneous method you have to make sure it's unlocked first.

It sounds like there may be variation in the implementation, though, so YMMV:

From Wikipedia:
"Proximity Pilot: The Proximity pin, PP (also known as plug present), as shown in the SAE J1772 example pinout, describes the switch, S3, as being mechanically linked to the connector latch release actuator. During charging, the EVSE side connects the PP-PE loop via S3 and a 150 Ω R6; when opening the release actuator a 330 Ω R7 is added in the PP-PE loop on the EVSE side which gives a voltage shift on the line to allow the electric vehicle to initiate a controlled shut off prior to actual disconnection of the charge power pins. However many low power adapter cables do not offer that locking actuator state detection on the PP pin."

EDIT: A spark that length I think means at least a couple hundred thousand volts! It was damp and it wasn't sustained (was more red/orange than blue). Guess there is a lot of inductance and/or the dI/dt was large!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33
You handled it well.

This plug in hybrid 5series was hogging the J1772 since before I arrived at 7 this morning and was still there when I left after 7pm (I arrived near zero range and at 20 amps was just shy of 90% when I returned). This case is difficult and longer term these garages at places like train stations should have many L1 and L2 chargers as most cars sit for 12+ hrs/day there.

82F58071-2DC8-4E64-B020-AD47E3427A9B.jpeg

Reactions: abasile

It is definitely harder, but not too bad. That said, I’ve used my J-adapter well over 100 times if not more than 200 times now in four years.

If you take the J1772 off with the adapter in the car's port, you likely have to unlock the adapter on the car's charging screen. I just did this today.

My belief is that it prevents someone from stealing your J1772 adapter. [You have to unlock the car and open the door to do this.]

Reactions: Mod3forMe
This results in the charging cable not de-energizing before the disconnect - so it's like unplugging a vacuum or other inductive load while running. Since it was dark, I was able to see a 3-4 inch long electrical arc from the J-1772 to the Tesla charge port (due to inductance of course), as I pulled the J-1772 connector out of my Tesla.
This had happened to me a couple of times when charging at work (ChargePoint stations). I finally adapted the following procedure:

Stop the charging session using the ChargePoint app or the Tesla app
Wait a few seconds (until the port changes color or goes off)
Remove the plug and J1772 adapter as one piece (in case a spark does happen it's not near my hands)
Disconnect the J1772 adapter

So far, I've not been "shocked" to see a spark.

Is it just CCS or does the Level 2 Type 2 connectors lock as well?

That is the issue in the U.S. The superchargers lock as well as the Tesla destination chargers (L2). The issue is that most public chargers are J1772 requiring the J1772 to Tesla adapter. The adapter will lock into place in the car but the connection between the adapter and the J1772 is not locked which is where someone can disconnect the plug.

I would say over here all types lock, at least at the stations I have been to up to now. These usually were stations with three outlets each: Type 2, CCS and CHAdeMO.

Actually, what you can't see in my new Avatar picture, next to my e-Golf was a Model S that came after I had already been there a couple of minutes. He used the Type 2 connector (as I was already plugged into the CCS outlet) but it appeared he used some device between the Type 2 connector and the Model S charge port. I didn't really pay attention whether it was the Tesla UMC or some aftermarket adapter like the Juice Booster. In any case both connections he made appeared to lock, at least they both made a locking sound.

This happened to me today in my work garage. I was there for a total of 41 minutes and her excuse was she didn't know if I was done charging yet and she didn't know what the charge colors meant. She did this as soon as she pulled up so she didn't care if I was done or not she just wanted to plug in her van. I caught her in the act because I was walking to another building. I let her know (politely) that unlike most people around here I am a courteous EV owner and will move when I am done charging.

This video was after she unplugged me and then tried plugging me back in.

Actually, I could understand her thinking. Tesla (and some Tesla owners) make a big deal about the (proprietary) SC network. Her attitude could simply be "they have their own chargers, why are they using one of the few that I can use”.
I understand lots of entitled thinking.

I certainly don't agree with it.

In much the same way I didn't agree with the woman who unplugged me in a hotel because "they needed the charge".

She also got spoken to.

Happened to me at a Nissan dealership when we still had our Leaf. Nissan service plugged the car into their CHAdeMO and some guy in another Leaf pulls up, disconnects our car and plugs in. I asked him why he did it and he said he needed to charge. I told the service department and they went out to unplug him.

You never know someones travel plans. I have found, in my 5 years of Tesla ownership, that 99% of Tesla driver are very considerate. I have noticed that some other EV drivers are not quite as understanding. Maybe its just the increase in EV numbers and the loss of community.

you take the J1772 off with the adapter in the car's port, you likely have to unlock the adapter on the car's charging screen. I just did this today.

For Chargepoint at least, as long as it is still charging, the disconnect of the J-1772 will simultaneously unlock the adapter.

This had happened to me a couple of times when charging at work (ChargePoint stations). I finally adapted the following procedure:

Stop the charging session using the ChargePoint app or the Tesla app
Wait a few seconds (until the port changes color or goes off)
Remove the plug and J1772 adapter as one piece (in case a spark does happen it's not near my hands)
Disconnect the J1772 adapter

I checked today on the Chargepoint. I just press down the button on the J1772 handle and wait for the session to end. This does indeed tell the Tesla to stop charging with the resistor mentioned above, but takes a second. Shortly afterwards the port unlocks as well. But if I just wait for the Tesla chargeport to show a different color light (White?) then I know it is good to disconnect, and no sparking concerns. So I will be sure to do this in future.

No need to take out my phone or anything else.

However, If the Chargepoint session has finished and the car is not charging it can be annoying to unlock the charge port. But obviously no issues with sparking in that case since the cable is not energized.

The advice to pull the plug and adapter out together is sound.

I usually do anyway.... because it is easier. I use two hands with one grasping the adapter and the other on the J1772 handle. If I leave the adapter in the car, it is harder to get a good grip on it to pull it out, although it can be done. Like when someone unplugs me at a public station and I have to fetch my adapter before I leave.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I usually do anyway.... because it is easier. I use two hands with one grasping the adapter and the other on the J1772 handle. If I leave the adapter in the car, it is harder to get a good grip on it to pull it out, although it can be done. Like when someone unplugs me at a public station and I have to fetch my adapter before I leave.

So your procedure is to lift the J-1772 latch to end the session, then wait for the adapter to unlock, then remove both together? Seems good. Maybe I will start doing that (fewer steps). Actually only reason I haven’t been removing them concurrently is because there was a period of software builds where the adapter was not reliably unlocked so it saved me time to put the J-1772 back on the public charging station, while the car thought about unlocking the adapter.

Just want to make sure I am not missing something; typically there is no way for me to remove the adapter, because it is locked to the car, unless the session was just ended. And obviously I don’t want to have to open the car door and come back, or use my phone...

Guess I have really gone OT on this thread!