Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strangest item Towed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I had a wireless networking project at my house, and a friends house, that really required a boom lift.

We tried a 34 foot (available in Tucson), but could not reach what we needed to reach, and had to rent a 50 foot tow behind lift in Phoenix. Towed both the 34 and the 50 footer with the Model X. Had to charge a lot of course, but it did great.

I am wondering if anyone else has towed anything this strange as well? The Model X 90D did great, bit of a pain to unhitch and charge, not much of an issue in Casa Grande, but a major pain in Scottsdale. The rental pickup was in north Phoenix, and the drop off was in Chandler, so not as painful as pickup. Drove Tucson to the rental pickup, then charged in Scottsdale, then Casa Grande to charge more, then home.

Here is a photo of it:

jlg_T500J.jpeg

-Harry

what are the estimated weights of those things? I'm considering trying to tow my Porsche ~3200lbs with an aluminum trailer ~1800lbs. Its awfully close to the limit
I have towed my boat with the X also, Its right at 5000 lbs, besides the lack of range it tows it well. I think a lower wind profile would also help, it made the X feel like a small car when connected because it sits high up on the trailer. I don't the the 5000lb tow rating is there for power or braking, I think they don't want the liability of more weight.
@mongo, The weight minder hitch said it was at 475, the mower deck on the back weighs more than you may think. Also most of the weight of the tractor is over the rear axle.

I would be curious to see wh/mi numbers with subzero temps, towing uphill, cold start (no preheat), heaters full blast, and phone plugged into charger.

We towed a 4,000 travel trailer in 32deg weather, flat Texas road and didn’t go above 55mph. We couldn’t even make the 115 mile trip before we had to stop 10 miles before the supercharger at a local Tesla owners house to charge. We were in the 1,100wh/mi range. Highly recommend never doing that again.

Attachments

• 49D5B29D-813E-4803-BC09-BDF038F5C2C1.jpeg
    49D5B29D-813E-4803-BC09-BDF038F5C2C1.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: TechVP