Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strap a weight onto the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that AP/FSD is not actually driving. It is doing certain tasks like lane keeping but there are many situations it cannot handle. AP/FSD will simply crash the car in certain situations because it is not programmed to handle them. If you are not paying attention, you could be in a serious crash. So, the car is checking for your hands on the wheel for your protection, to make sure you are able to prevent a crash. When use a weight on the wheel, you are cheating and disabling a safety system!

I agree that it’s potentially dangerous, in that it overrides a safety feature.

But curious as to the exact law it might violate, understanding the law may vary from state to state.
Failure to maintain control would be one. Unfortunately, common sense is not something that can be mandated.

A few morons will try and ruin everything for all of us.

Elon is already pushing the edge of authorities. All authorities have to see is a few more accidents with contraptions overriding safeties to push back and force Tesla to turn it off completely. Even if the contraption was NOT at fault.

I’ve never been put in AP jail in 3.5 years and I rarely get nagged. Maybe 2-3 times every 100 miles.

Please, go buy another car that doesn’t nag you. Market is great. Get some common sense while you shop for another car while you are at it, I’ve heard it’s in short supply in your immediate vicinity as well.

Last edited:
Let me give you an example. I am a pilot and our aircraft have very sophisticated autopilot systems that put the Tesla AP to shame. But if the airplane crashes I am responsible since the Pilot In Command is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft. If you are in the driver’s seat the same logic applies to you. Until we get to SAE level 4 you will have to be in the drivers seat.

Don’t attempt to defeat safety systems!

But curious as to the exact law it might violate, understanding the law may vary from state to state.
Illegal? Very doubtful.

Federal regulators essentially banned the device. NHTSA issued a cease and desist order against the company that makes the device. So selling the device would be illegal since it would violate a cease and desist order.

Federal regulators essentially banned the device. NHTSA issued a cease and desist order against the company that makes the device. So selling the device would be illegal since it would violate a cease and desist order.

I stand (sit, actually) corrected. Thanks for the info. Seems a bit of political overstepping, but whatev.

Reactions: Ramphex
I agree that it’s potentially dangerous, in that it overrides a safety feature.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is authorized under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Safety Act) to issue Federal motor vehicle safety standards that apply to the manufacture and sale of new motor vehicles and new items of motor vehicle equipment.

See those words new motor vehicle equipment......
State by state laws can strengthen this against the user not just manufacturer.

Not to mention the lawsuit that one would endure in an injury or death for overriding a safety feature. Also most cars and severe accident scenes are inventoried. Officer asks what's this?

Could be ones estate that might end up settling, as one might be deceased as well.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Several months ago AP kept putting me in time out with no warning and I was tempted to get something like this. Fortunately, Tesla fixed the bug so I’m not having issues any more.

I agree with the other posts - AP only nags you every 30 seconds or so; it’s not that big of a deal to tug on the steering wheel a couple times a minute. FSD beta actually nags you every 10 seconds, so that’s 3 times worse but it’s also an early beta feature that you’re typically using it in town and is still prone to mistakes. AP is generally quite good on the highway but still not perfect.

The problem is, these nags were put in place because people were being stupid and endangering themselves and others. (Remember the guy who was arrested for climbing into the passenger seat? Or the guy who died because he was watching a movie on his iPad and his Tesla crashed?) Tesla has to comply with the regulators and also protect themselves.

Finally, if you use one of these devices, get in an accident and kill someone, you’ve put yourself in the position of explaining why you overrode a safety mechanism. Even if it wasn’t necessarily related to the accident it will be related until you can prove it otherwise.

Remember that AP/FSD is not actually driving. It is doing certain tasks like lane keeping but there are many situations it cannot handle. AP/FSD will simply crash the car in certain situations because it is not programmed to handle them. If you are not paying attention, you could be in a serious crash. So, the car is checking for your hands on the wheel for your protection, to make sure you are able to prevent a crash. When use a weight on the wheel, you are cheating and disabling a safety system!
It is true we must all pay attention while driving. I use a weight on long trips, as I no longer need to use tension on the wheel. I’m still very much (100%) in control and 100% aware. I will say those folks driving vehicles without any lane assist keeping one hand on the wheel or knee texting and driving are many more times more likely to crash.

We had this years ago with AP1, sacks of potatoes in the front seat, oranges on the steering wheel etc.

AP1’s initial release was fantastic, no nagging. Then all the twats started defeating the safety features, posting their exploits on youtube - and that’s why we are where we are today

Please don’t stick weights on your steering wheel - because when you wrap yourself round a tree, we‘ll all suffer

It's critical to keep a hand on the wheel and pay attention so control can be regained quickly. But... the nags are too frequent and the system will too-often disconnect when I nudge the wheel. The window within which a nudge is enough to convey "my hand is still here" but not enough to convey "give me back control" is just too narrow. So, not being in the US of A, I'll still install the weight when on a long trip and I'll still keep my hand(s) on the wheel and remain as safe as if I didn't have the weight. Since I do not trust autopilot to drive the car, in addition to hands on the wheel, I'll be maintaining a defensive mindset, which is probably more important than a mindless hand-on-the-wheel.

But...the system will too-often disconnect when I nudge the wheel. The window within which a nudge is enough to convey "my hand is still here" but not enough to convey "give me back control" is just too narrow.

Not at all the case in my 2022 M3LR. A simple tiny twitch of the wheel is all it takes. I’ve never had it disconnect unexpectedly in that scenario. Not sure why yours would be markedly different.