Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strap a weight onto the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Federal regulators essentially banned the device. NHTSA issued a cease and desist order against the company that makes the device. So selling the device would be illegal since it would violate a cease and desist order.

Please read articles if you’re going to use them as part of your argument. The company that manufactures the device was given a cease and desist, prohibiting them from selling it.

Nowhere in the article does it say they’re illegal to use. If that’s the point you’re trying to make, you should include relevant sources.

This is a interesting post about disabling a safety feature. The technology isn’t there to let the car drive unattended. People have asked me about FSD, my response is it’s pretty good but will kill you if given the chance. Mother Nature is good at getting rid of stupid animals and we fall into that category. If you want to do stupid things, I might add there’s plenty of news articles about it. Knock your self out, problem is in this case your not only endangering yourself but others as well. I do look forward to the day that we can get technology to the point we can trust it to do the right thing. Not sure that it’ll happen before I take the brass handled bus trip. Just think about the gains that have been made in the last 5 years.
Thanks for listening !

Please read articles if you’re going to use them as part of your argument. The company that manufactures the device was given a cease and desist, prohibiting them from selling it.

I did read the article before posting. A cease and desist order means it is illegal for the manufacturer to sell the device. I get that. But if you use the device, you are using a device that is banned.

Nowhere in the article does it say they’re illegal to use. If that’s the point you’re trying to make, you should include relevant sources.

The manufacturer does not have the right to sell the produce. Using a device that has been banned is using an illegal device.

Personally I'm not in favor of bypassing any safety control.

But I remember days when we would "bolt on" things like super chargers, headers, brighter front/back lights, better brakes, slicks on the back, cruise control systems, distracting stereo's or GPS units, or radar detectors. I'm thinking late 60's to 70's on our muscle cars, or what we thought were muscle cars in our budget. You could use the same arguments for some of these items. What I find interesting is that I don't recall anyone at that time suggesting extra-manufacturer items would ever be considered unsafe or prohibited while the vehicle was properly managed. Then again, I'm old and maybe just don't remember.

Today it appears to be nearly 100% in the opposite direction. At least among those who admit to such and the responses.

Reactions: PACEMD
Personally I'm not in favor of bypassing any safety control.

But I remember days when we would "bolt on" things like super chargers, headers, brighter front/back lights, better brakes, slicks on the back, cruise control systems, distracting stereo's or GPS units, or radar detectors. I'm thinking late 60's to 70's on our muscle cars, or what we thought were muscle cars in our budget. You could use the same arguments for some of these items. What I find interesting is that I don't recall anyone at that time suggesting extra-manufacturer items would ever be considered unsafe or prohibited while the vehicle was properly managed. Then again, I'm old and maybe just don't remember.

Today it appears to be nearly 100% in the opposite direction. At least among those who admit to such and the responses.
People let their kids walk to school alone back then too. Completely different time.
I don't think 95% of what you list is illegal even today.

Maybe slicks and headers if they were open pipe or something, but not a safety issue.

My Tesla Stereo is the most distracting stereo I've had in a car and I love it :) . Lights are brighter than any car I've had, modded or not. GPS is by far the largest ever. No need to squint to read it. I also run a radar detector, that is integrated with the car audio system (mutes the music and alerts with text to speech so I don't have to take my eyes off the road).

OP should just learn how to drive AP. Just did 250 miles. I got 1 nag, I think, and it was totally effortless to put your hand in just the right spot that keeps it satisfied but not tiring.

The manufacturer does not have the right to sell the produce. Using a device that has been banned is using an illegal device.

By definition.

But is it against the law? If so which one or ones? Beyond some vague catch all such as careless driving? I wouldn’t use one of these devices on general principal, but if I did and got a ticket for careless driving, I’d sure take that to court and think I’d win.

Reactions: GMan324
Not at all the case in my 2022 M3LR. A simple tiny twitch of the wheel is all it takes. I’ve never had it disconnect unexpectedly in that scenario. Not sure why yours would be markedly different.
I'm glad your car behaves well. Mine doesn't. Could be related to where we rest our hand in a way that's comfortable. I don't know why your car is so lax on this-- maybe defective? Mine is agro about requiring more than a tiny twitch.

I'm glad your car behaves well. Mine doesn't. Could be related to where we rest our hand in a way that's comfortable. I don't know why your car is so lax on this-- maybe defective? Mine is agro about requiring more than a tiny twitch.
I rest my right hand at the very bottom of the wheel. A quick left/right jiggle kills the warning virtually every time. If it does fail and the blue banner appears, a second jiggle always does the trick. Since it verifies I’m paying attention with no drama, I‘ve just assumed it’s designed to work that way.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I rest my right hand at the very bottom of the wheel. A quick left/right jiggle kills the warning virtually every time. If it does fail and the blue banner appears, a second jiggle always does the trick. Since it verifies I’m paying attention with no drama, I‘ve just assumed it’s designed to work that way.
Maybe that's it. I rest my hand more at the 3 o'clock position, as if I need to gain control and do something drastic, that's the best position to exert torque, in my opinion.

Maybe that's it. I rest my hand more at the 3 o'clock position, as if I need to gain control and do something drastic, that's the best position to exert torque, in my opinion.
I typically have my hands on my knees right next to the wheel. Like @FastEddieB, I just reach up with my hand and give a tug as needed. If I need to take over my hands are about An inch away from the wheel. In areas where I’m concerned I may hold the wheel but IME, I’d end up disengaging AP more frequently when I do that.

I have a Yoke as well and it's been fine. It is "narrow". Doesn't take much weight at all to keep it happy and just a tad more can knock it out.
I also keep my hand at the bottom corner, usually left side. You can pull down or lift up pretty quickly if needed and it's comfortable there. On model 3 it took too much toque to pull it out of AP (Which you need now and then, like when a lane splits and the car doesn't know which way to go). On model 3 it was alway a jerk to pull past and out of AP and you'd end up with slight over steer. On the Raven X and S refresh it's very smooth to break out. But it can be easy to slip out with too much weight. But like anything, it takes experimenting (WITHOUT weights).

I hold my right hand at about 5 o’clock with a bit of tug and my left on my knee. Haven’t had a nag in the last 5 years except one time I was cooling both hands in the ac stream.

I think the problem is the phrase “keep your hands on the wheel“ rather than the more wordy “provide a little torque with one hand while keeping the other at the ready”.

Even if I didn’t need to touch the wheel at all, I still would because I like to feel how the system is driving.

my car requires quite a bit of torque to disengage AP. hard to do it by accident. I've driven quite a few Teslas and they all feel the same. I would suggest getting yours checked out as it seems like a one-off issue with your car.